Author Topic: Criss Cross Framed Lincoln Photo  (Read 3477 times)

Smokey596

• View Profile
Criss Cross Framed Lincoln Photo
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
Me again! :) I love all things Lincoln...bought this photo as a present to myself when I bought my new house last year.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything as far as how old it might possibly be and if the frame is old or new? Common? Reproduced? Has this item been fixed up to just look old or does it actually have some age on it? I've seen similar frames with other photos in them, so I have no idea.

The entire item is about 8"x10" in size. I've attached complete photos front and back as well as detailed photos of the front showing the inner metal frame, the hanger attachment and nails on the back, and the back where the edges come together.

Thanks for any information! :)

Smokey596

• View Profile
Re: Criss Cross Framed Lincoln Photo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »
Two more of the photos.

Smokey596

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:24:16 pm »
And the final photo. :)

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:41 pm »
Antique German Black forest frame.  They also make amazing Cuckoo clocks in that style!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
  That style frame was popular in the 40`s !! Its possible that some were brought from Germany by returning service men but many were made here !! My Grandad made many of that style with different decorations that he gave to family members !! That is a pressed wood backing isn`t it ??

Smokey596

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »
Yes, it is a wood backing.

So, it dates from the 40's? And back then someone put the photo in it within the metal frame as well? 

Awhile back I saw someone selling an almost identical frame with a different photo in it on eBay for $1,000, I think, claiming that the frame AND the photo were way older than that, which I seriously questioned. Either the guy was totally off base or he was pulling a scam.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »
...So, it dates from the 40's? And back then someone put the photo in it within the metal frame as well? 

I've had several of those type frames over the years and always dated them earlier than that. Although the style remained popular for a long time, I believe yours is around the turn of the 20th century. What looks like a "metal frame" is actually a gesso over wood liner.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95020012/antique-victorian-1890-era-walnut-carved

Smokey596

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:08 pm »
I think you're right about the gesso. Thank you for that information! Nice to know it might possibly be as old as turn of the century as well.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
...So, it dates from the 40's? And back then someone put the photo in it within the metal frame as well? 

I've had several of those type frames over the years and always dated them earlier than that. Although the style remained popular for a long time, I believe yours is around the turn of the 20th century. What looks like a "metal frame" is actually a gesso over wood liner.

Exactly!  Many were from earlier than the 40's although they resurged in the 40's.  I see them every so often around here.  Still looking for one without a broken piece.  My grandmother brought several things over from Germany and she was born in the 1800's.  Love that style and the clocks are amazing.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:39 pm »

Many of the frames like this one that I've seen go back to the 1890s, when there was a significant interest in rustic things, i.e. hunting lodge furniture and the like.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Smokey596

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 06:57:28 pm »
Just an update...I went to the Antiques Roadshow today and took this framed photo. I knew it wasn't worth a lot, and I was right...$15! But I wanted to know more about it.

Appraiser Nick Dawes said it was made in America between 1890 and 1900 and probably originally held needlework, not a photo. I was surprised and please that it was that old! It's hanging back up on the wall now and I still love it even if it's not "valuable" moneywise. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 03:09:12 pm »
I remember the conversation but not what the frame looked like !!  Pics don`t work anymore !! 
I think you were supposed to tell us about your Roadshow trip !!  How was it ??  Have fun ??

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
What else did You bring with you to the roadshow?  Did you see things you wished you could buy?
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Smokey596

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »
Here are the front and back pics again.

I posted a report on the show in the Antiques Talk forum. :) As a reply to my original post. But long story short, I didn't get anything else appraised. I had something, but the Collectables line was way too long for it to be worth it. I already knew it wasn't of value. My brother took two guitars that were appraised a bit higher than he thought they would be...around $11.000 total.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »
Oh !!  Now I remember !!  Pretty sure that is just a wood frame !!  No gesso !!