Author Topic: What a find !!  (Read 3636 times)

mart

• View Profile
What a find !!
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:08 pm »
http://tinyurl.com/ltvt33o

Did everyone see this ??

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
Re: What a find !!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:13:35 pm »
That is disgusting!!! But only because I didn't find it!!!!

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
Estate tax evasion ?

It sounds a bit, you know, odd. " A can in the ground ".

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:01:25 pm »
That's some good news! My GGGranddaddy retired to that area, and buried his fortune. Where do I file a claim? :D

(This is a good time for another story.
Years ago, a customer was in the shop looking at an old (1910) county plat book. He was leafing through it and found a scrap of Railway Express receipt with a notation written on the back of it. It looked like it had been there for years since the paper had yellowed the page where it been. Basically, it gave the directions where a number of gold and silver coins were put in an "oak box covered with lead, and buried with a Pin cherry tree planted on top".'
I kept that piece of paper around as a conversation item for a long time. Finally one day, a friend and I drove to the area and actually found what we thought was the surveyor's marker that the directions started at. After following the distances and directions given we came to a stand of Chokecherry trees. I had brought along a pair of bent wires that I was using as "divining rods" ;), and started walking around the trees. Nothing happened until we actually went into the center of the "orchard". There was an area in the middle of the trees where the earth was entirely devoid of vegetation of any kind. Those bent wires I had in each hand were crossing each other every time I stepped close to that bare area.
Long story short...that's the end of the story! Over the years, the land which was located near a very rural lake had been bought by the State, and I never had the nerve to investigate further. :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:26 pm »
It was on Fox news this morning but I couldn`t find a link that would agree with my dial up,,Frogpatch was kind enough to find that one so all could read it !!

Ipcress,, not just a can,,1400 coins in a lot of cans !! Must have been a years worth of pork and beans !! But that's the way some people were back then !!  Post hole banks were common !!

Rauville,,can`t imagine you letting that one slide !!  I would have still been shoveling dirt !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:14:32 pm »
I saw that.  I am searching my house inch by inch as we speak.  lol ;D 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:21:32 pm »

Can you imagine walking in your yard and finding that ??  That reminds me,, I need to buy another metal detector !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »

Can you imagine walking in your yard and finding that ??  That reminds me,, I need to buy another metal detector !!
You never know what is under there.  They say if you have like a very old tree on your property that is the first place you should look because people would put stuff there so they knew where to find it.  My roofer last year found a Nazi gat and an antique football.  I sold the for $700.  Helped pay for the roof work.  lol

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »
Great story!  Right place, right time!  Thanks for sharing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:25 pm »
I just hired a backhoe! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 07:53:46 am »
LOL !! Didn`t have to hire it but my brother did that once for my front yard !!  Had a swimming pool for a short time !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:11:54 pm »
Did you see the sad part of it today?  There is a tax law that requires them to pay such a high rate that, according to the news, they will end up paying 47% IF THEY FIND OUT WHO THEY ARE. 

Interesting to see how this goes.  After all they legally owned the property for years that it was found on...so it was legally theirs, bought and paid for! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:24:03 pm »
I did not hear that KC !! 47% to the state ??  Or what ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 09:33:06 pm »
Silent partner! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:49 pm »
Federal and State Taxes.

So far, the only person who knows who they are is the coin guy and he isn't talking!  :)