Author Topic: my duck  (Read 3071 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: my duck
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:52 am »
Cogar--fresh set of eyes....I can see what you mean about the knot -- which makes it more collectible to me!  I did look on ebay and found the machine they make these on, you're right, they use them on gun stock also. 

The knot makes it more interesting for me.  Whoever did this was a master of carpentry--Just to be able to figure out the machine alone!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »
sugar, such decoys are “cut” from pieces of “square” wood blanks and the head and body are “cut” separately and then joined together. Said wood blanks are subjected to an initial or 1st “rough” cut using a “gouge” chisel to remove the majority of excess wood ….. and then a 2nd or “finishing” cut is done with a different chisel to obtain the exact dimensions. 

The “knot” in the wood blank was surely visible …. but the “crack” thru the knot was not visible or it did not form until after the 1st “rough cut” was made.

And knots with cracks or gaps are a “NO NO” ….. SIMPLY BECAUSE  they are highly likely to expand or lengthen ….. at some future time. 

I think you have a great "odd n' different" piece there and will likely never see another one like it.  ;D ;D $$

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »
odd and different has served me well my whole life cogar....smile at you

thanks for the info