Author Topic: Old rocking horse  (Read 4469 times)

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
Old rocking horse
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:41 am »
My husband just bought me this old rocking horse that looks to be in original un-restored condition. I was wondering if anyone had any info on something like this? I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to have it restored? I love it just the way it is. I was told it came out of a 1740 Farmhouse here in NJ. Thanks for any info you can give me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:09:50 pm by MartinaNJ »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old rocking horse
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
Have you checked it over carefully for a makers name ?? Belly,,bottom of rockers ?? Does it look like it ever had ears,,??  Some from the Victorian era were made with a tail but no ears,,,have no idea why though !!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:19 am »
Thanks for the quick response. I will check for the makers name and ears. It definitely had a mane that is now pretty well gone and a hole where the tail once was. I will take some close up pics and hope that helps. Thanks again.  :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:10:32 pm by MartinaNJ »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:20:29 pm »
Your bow horse rocker has had ALOT of loving over the years...in fact loved to pieces!  :)  That is a good thing because that it what it was made for!

Typically had slats across the bottom so that you could get up and down easily.  Not uncommon for the tail and mane to be missing on a well used and/or unkempt piece.  Many times the ears were made out of rawhide and they have been pulled off or deteriorated over time.

Don't believe your horse is as old as the house it was in! 

Here is a free rocking horse identification service:
http://www.fineenglishrockinghorses.com/ourservices.html

You might want to browse through this site that has been a great resource over the years.  You might even want to try and contact them.  They may be of help - don't know.  But it is worth a try.
http://www.rockinghorseheaven.com/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »
I carefully looked over the rocking horse and could not find any kind of stamp or makers name. It also doesn't seem that it ever had ears. I have posted some close up pics, I hope someone can tell me the approximate age. Any info/input would be great. Thanks,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »
Yours  would date somewhere between 1840 and 1880 !!  Bow rockers are the oldest ones but were phased out around 1880 because when a child rocked on it,,it would walk across the floor and because little kids were getting fingers rocked on !!  Without knowing who made it,,can`t find a history !! I would leave it as is if it were me !! If you have it restored do not put ears on it !! Just replace the tail and mane !!  I have a little bay mare that needs a trim !!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
Any idea of a ballpark $ value? I was hoping to keep it as it is, glad that's what you suggested. I have horses too so I will replace the mane and tail. I will try and do some research to hopefully find who it was made by. Thanks for all of the great info, it's much appreciated.  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
You might email a pic to that link KC gave you !!  Value wise,,I really do not know !!  You find them very rarely !!  Restored by a professional could be around $1500. or more !!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:27:26 pm »
I meant value as it is, in its current original state. I am starting to get nervous since I know he paid a pretty penny. I will look again but I think the only links were for restorers. Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »
Been looking for a place to get an ID !! Seems most of those I found are in the UK or Australia !!  Have the eyes been lost ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:52:47 pm »
The first link I gave you was for a horse identification service.  Once you get the maker/horse identified you can then research values of horses by maker and in different conditions!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 06:17:43 am »
Thank you both, I will check into it. The eyes are painted on and are worn but still there. Nothing on this horse seems to be repaired, replaced or added aside from a screw that looks old but newer in the foot holding it to the rocker.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:40 am »
I read yesterday that the bow rockers date from about 1750,,so yours could be older than I thought !!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:50 pm »
Jane Hooker was very helpful, this is what she had to say..

Hi Martina
Well, it is a lovely old American horse.  I can’t say who made it but I think it is relatively early from the saddle shape and other features and a guess is mid 1850s – 1870s  but it could be earlier or later.  Sadly I don’t know of any experts in the States who can help but there must be some.  Auction houses can often sound knowledgeable but tend to guess wildly.   
Your horse looks rather like one known to be by Andrew Christian ( quite a big maker).  The Crandall family also produced many toy horses in this period.  Important makers trading a bit later who could have produced similar horse were Charles Dare,  Whitney Reed and Converse.
There would have been a platform on the bow and maybe a painting on it originally.    The tack is all original and although very battered, think carefully before moving any of it.
The bow has sagged at the centre joints which will stress the leg to body joints so handle carefully.
Always hard to know if to touch these old horses at all or not.
Could you possibly email the photos of the whole horse on its bows, the saddle from the side and the head from the side as separate  .jpg attachments  - much easier for me to file and work with?   
Kind regards
Jane

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:08 pm »
How very nice of her to help you !! At least I wasn`t too far off on the date !! Though like she said,,dating is difficult !!   Wish I knew more about these horses but I do not !! Let us know if you get further information !!