Author Topic: Allan Rohan Crite- Found Painting!  (Read 9036 times)

rdelgallo

• View Profile
Re: Allan Rohan Crite- Found Painting!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:36 pm »
That is the size of this, same exact thing that the websites had.

And yes, $2,000 to $3,000 for the pair with the other piece called 'Bride of The Sun' or "Sun Goddess'. I cannot remember the exact name.

So I would assume if this is a real piece from him, about a $1,500 value currently.

Can only increase since he passed away seven years ago.

It shows no signs of production prints by being numbered or anything. No copyright stamps, company stamps, etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:09:22 pm by rdelgallo »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
Why don`t you take it to an art gallery and let them look at it !!  Or email a pic to one of the galleries that specialize in African American art !!

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
I had emailed some photos to three galleries in NJ, CA, and MA. They had actually posted wanted ads on a website for some of this artists work, I am hoping to hear something back this week  ;D

Wish me luck! I am hoping it is real lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »
Good luck and let us know what they say !!

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 04:08:38 pm »
That is the size of this, same exact thing that the websites had.

And yes, $2,000 to $3,000 for the pair with the other piece called 'Bride of The Sun' or "Sun Goddess'. I cannot remember the exact name.

So I would assume if this is a real piece from him, about a $1,500 value currently.

Can only increase since he passed away seven years ago.

It shows no signs of production prints by being numbered or anything. No copyright stamps, company stamps, etc.

That was for two original watercolours. Hammer price was $1,320

This is a print or a copy. On the item sold by Swann Galleries, the yellow goes beyond the border in areas which they do not on yours - particularly the lady's lower left arm and in the bottom corner. On yours, there is a band of white between the outline of his left shoulder and the yellow. On Swann's, there is no white band.
On yours, the yellow within her dress is similar to that elsewhere. On Swann's, it is much darker - like an orange colour

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 05:23:36 pm »
On some of the areas, the yellow does go beyond the borders. The pic is very unclear but I do see what you mean by the orangeish shade. Maybe it is still a copy from him?

I wasn't expecting it to be the actual original, I know a museum or gallery would already have that but I would be VERY happy if it is still a real one done by him.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:29:29 pm by rdelgallo »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 07:30:24 pm »
Somewhere I read in a bio that he did some things on an old fashioned mimeograph machine !!  Just not sure what or if I read correctly !!

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:07 pm »
Mart, that is interesting but I have no idea what that is.
Can you explain?

Ipcress

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 04:41:51 am »
Two things you possibly have in your favour :

1 ) I can find no prints of this work online. All search results on Google lead back to the Swann Galleries auction.

2 ) Why fake it with the obvious differences i mentioned ? In fact, why fake it at all ? (

Mart pointed out that he used a mimeograph - i found the interview where he mentions this and he also talks about linoleum blocks or linocuts.

If he dabbled around with printing this might be one. Could even just be a one off he did for someone or a test piece.

Concievable that it's a print by the artist. Like i said earlier, it's an outside chance but the odds could be shortening.

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 11:06:42 am »
I am very curious to find out the meaning behind this piece even more now!

I just emailed Swann Galleries to see what they may have to say.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 11:36:57 am »
I thought this looked similar to a lino,,not as rough as a wood block,, but pics are not the best !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:19 am »
rdelgallo, a mimeograph machine used a stencil to reproduce. The stencil would wrap around a drum. It was a hand cranked device.  But this doesn't look like it to me...but then I am not there with a hands-on inspection.

Mart, I don't believe they had all of those colors as well for mimeograph.

Believe me, I can remember helping my mom make copies of things at church and cranking and cranking and cranking.
You had to catch the printed pieces really quickly and move them because they were still wet and would smear or stick to the next one when it came off.  I can remember when they finally got a "dry" mimeograph machine...and then finally...A COPY MACHINE!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »
Interesting story KC. Thank you for that information. I guess that was way before my time period, I've never heard of one lol

I even tried putting the photos into a word document and uploading that but it still woukld not load for some reason  :-\

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »
But if its a lino print, that roller would work well and sure speed the process up !! Should have read the entire thing but I didn`t !!

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:52 am »
I have started hearing back from some galleries and one in Boston will get back to me later this week or next about possibly purchasing the work.

Swann Galleries Responded with this:
"I don't have any more specific information regarding this piece. You are right - we had sold another work of the same subject. It was actually a lot with a pair - there was also another different image, "Bride of the Sun". So it appears that they are hand-colored but the line drawing is an off-set lithograph.

Crite often made off-set lithographs of his ink drawings and linocuts. He would later embellish them with watercolor, gouache or gold-leaf. They are often hard to distinguish from the originals."

The gentlemen I was speaking with says, "THEY are hand colored" but the lines are from a lithograph. I am taking this as the ones that Swann sold were like this one as well. Therefore this is a genuinely painted Crite piece where a similar one sold for over $1,300.

I emailed him back asking for a estimated value to see what he says.