Author Topic: Sheraton Dresser  (Read 3752 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Sheraton Dresser
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »
Hi everyone! I bought this dresser a few days ago and I have a few questions about it.
First, the veneer, which appears to be flame mahogany, is cloudy. How can I remedy this? I've been searching online but I can't find anything about cloudy veneer, just solid wood and I believe they are cared for differently. Maybe? I think I had this problem before and used Briwax but I don't remember. On a tiny spot I tried a mixture of vinegar and water but it didn't do anything, it stayed the same.

Also, I believe this dresser to be an original from the early 19th century and not a later 19th century reproduction. I just want more opinions on that. The brasses do not appear original but look older and well worn. Maybe about 100 years old. The screws that hold them in are all modern. It also looks like it was refinished relatively recently. The bottoms of the drawers and the inside-back of the dresser all have chamfered edges. Either way, I only paid $100.00 for the dresser at a consignment shop and hey, you can't get a plywood piece of junk at Walmart for that!

Thank you for any advice, I would really like to fix that cloudiness!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:30:55 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Sheraton Dresser
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »
Where in the world have you been ??  Looks like you picked a good one !! I agree it isn`t a later repro,, dovetails are correct, pulls are correct !! Form is correct !!  Don`t think the pulls have been replaced either !!  Nice one !!
Can you take a pic of that top ?? Is it cloudy all over or just in some areas ??
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:50:14 pm by mart »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:28 pm »
One word. D-I-V-O-R-C-E.  :-\
Missed you ladies and gentlemen!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »
Been there,,done that !!  Just glad your back !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:45 pm »
The top actually doesn't have a cloudy problem, the first picture is just a ton of dust from the store. Just the veneered drawer fronts are the issue, not any of the solid wood parts.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »
You mean its just not as shiny as the top ?? Its possible that the top has had a new finish put on but not the drawer fronts !!  That's what it sounds like !! Or could have been too close to a heat source and its just dry !!  Have you tried just using an oil polish on the drawers ?? Then a good buffing !! Don`t use the vinegar water,, that will make it worse over time !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:31 pm »
The top does look very recently refinished and the drawers are either original or have an older refinish. They don't really "match" in terms of patina. I haven't tried a polish or anything. I do have Liquid Gold, which I love, but I was too nervous to try much of anything without asking first. Plus, it says not to use it on veneer. Thank you for the advice!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:06:28 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »
This is the picture that shows the white cloudiness best. A little bit of it is light reflection from the window but most of it is the problem I am talking about. It's not that it's just more dull on the drawers, it's actually white.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 03:06:47 am »
Hey Hosman, got your message, I wondered where you had got off too. Yes, life can be a bitch, no doubt but, it's better than the alternative!
I am going to date this as more towards mid 19th century because of the panel sides & rounded drawer fronts. What is the species of secondary wood, i cant tell from pic's? The form looks to me to be more Classical ( sometimes referred to as empire) than sheraton. The brasses are federal era (late 18th/early 19th) but, if not original then not alot of help in dating.
I agree, for $100 bucks, how can you go wrong.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:29:34 am by jacon4 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:10:48 am »
It's not that it's just more dull on the drawers, it's actually white.

I can't tell from the picture if those 'blotches' is just the top surface of the "finish" that is scuffed up .... or that if the "finish" is discolored.

If "scuffed", some clear "Old English" and elbow grease might shine it up because the "white" is due to light refraction, ..... not reflection..

But if the top looks refinished then probably the whole chest was and may have been sprayed with lacquer ....... and if so, ..... and the "finish" is discolored ....... there may have been remenents of something on those areas that reacted with the lacquer.

One nice thing about applying a lacquer finish is ...... if something messes up ..... you use lacquer "thinner" and wipe it all back off .... and then re-spray it. But novices shouldn't be messin with lacquer "thinner" because it is extremely flammable and/or the vapors "explosive" without good air circulation.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:45 am »
OK !!  In see what you mean now !! Its another possibility that this had an old wax finish and someone has been using the cheap aerosol sprays on it which will cloud the finish sometimes !! If it were mine,,I would take the drawers outside and clean them well with a mix of 50/50 linseed oil and old fashion turpentine !! Use a soft cloth and work in a circular motion,,not hard rubbing, then buff !! That might remove the old wax if that's what it is,,and restore the shine !! It will slightly soften any old varnish it might have so it will need to dry well !! Try a tiny area with a Q-tip first to see !! I have on occasion added a bit of varnish to that mixture for a hand rubbed type finish !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
Glad you are back!  Sorry to hear of your trials/tribulations.

Does this look like the cloudy look when water/moisture gets under the top coat?  If so, find an inconspicuous place and use the blow dryer on it to warm it and see if it gets better.

Other wise it could be like Mart said.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
Mart and I are from the same school when it comes to cleaning. Try the Linseed/Turp mix. It has worked well for me in the past. Be very careful not to leave a rag with linseed oil anywhere. They can create spontaneously combustion in minutes. I learned that when it happened to me. I put the rag down on the concrete floor and within 5 minutes it was in flames. Fortunately I was there to put it our.

I wish I could see the piece close up. It does seem to have some Empire influence. I think it was a great buy.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:27:18 am »
Beautiful dresser Hosman and so glad to see you back!
Antiqueaholic in recovery