Author Topic: Silver plate? Value? Any info?  (Read 5828 times)

cmlindb

• View Profile
Silver plate? Value? Any info?
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:17:49 pm »
Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while and am excited to get back in to the grove of finding cool crap. I recently got a ton of silver plate for very little $$ and out of all of them this one stuck out to me. It is marked twice with English Silver MFG Corp and Black Starr & Gorham. It is heavier and feels better than the other silver plate I own. Any infor would be great and maybe a value. I have looked around but am falling short with research.
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

cmlindb

• View Profile
Re: Silver plate? Value? Any info?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »
Pics
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:25:05 pm »
more pics

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:29:30 am »
Can you please post the dimensions of the pieces?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:32:00 am »
Sure can. It is about 11" X 8.5"

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:53 am »
English Silver Manufacturing Corp is the actual maker of the piece whereas Black Starr (Frost ) & Gorham were the distributors of the silver items.

English Silver was founded in 1952 - 1990 with the mark you have on yours
http://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/SPMfgs/SPE1.html

Black Starr & Gorham operated from 1940 - 1962...thus gives your pieces a window of 1952 - 1962!

From the size of it it could be a cheese or butter server.  How tall is it?  Seems too small for a vegetable server or meat plate.  There used to be servers for everything.  So, lets figure this one out!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:16:30 am »
here is a picture with a bottle of wine inside it for a little bit of sizing. Great response by the way.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:32:23 am »
11 in would be too large for butter but a great size for a cheese server !! May have had a wooden cutting board with it that fit inside !!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
Yeah I'm thinking more along the lines of cheese or something larger than butter. Anyone have a ball park value. And does the fact that Black Starr & Gorham distibuted it make it better?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:06 am »
Are there hallmarks on the piece ??  Black Starr & Gorham were jewelers,,normally they don`t handle plated silver !!  Silverplate was a lower end product usually sold by local retailers !!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
Are there hallmarks on the piece ??  Black Starr & Gorham were jewelers,,normally they don`t handle plated silver !!  Silverplate was a lower end product usually sold by local retailers !!

And the plot thickens.. There is a stamp that literally looks like this on the piece "BLACK STARR & GORHAM" on the piece. It is in a different place than the English Silver MFG Corp stamp though.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »
I was just reading about Black, Starr & frost and how they became and merged with Gorham. I am not 100% that it is silver plate but I am almost sure without testing it.

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »
Looks like good quality silver plate.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:06:01 pm »
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I can not figure out a range of value for the life of me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 06:26:40 pm »
BS&G distributed the piece and it was made by English Silver Mfg Co.