Author Topic: Metal Tree Table Lamp....Please help with date and possible price  (Read 3458 times)

dennisk

• View Profile
 Hi,
  My wife and I are planning on having a estate sale. After contacting a antique dealer, they had planned to stop by and look at some items to get an idea of what will be sold. While he was looking around, he came across a table lamp and seemed to be obsessed with it. After looking it over and noticing several flaws, he offered us $1000. We had told him to let us think about it. So he kept looking around and adding more to the offer price getting up to a final price of around $1500. I then became extremely curious about this lamp.

A description he gave us is, he believes it to be maybe German and made of White Metal. Dated I think to the 1930's.

So, after searching and searching, I came upon an ebay sale of the same lamp style in better condition without a shade for around $900.
 This is the ebay site. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SIGNED-SPELTER-CAST-METAL-WITH-BRONZE-PATINA-TREE-FORM-LAMP-BASE-/261308563113?nma=true&si=JC3FsLLp5GwLGDpS2MJcz%252BqPvNo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#viTabs_0

However the dimensions for my lamp are 12 1/2 inch base. 24 inches tall, holding a 16 inch round shade. Here are some pics.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:52:35 pm by dennisk »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Metal Tree Table Lamp....Please help with date and possible price
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:03:11 am »
His was signed "Meyer" is yours ?? Look on the bottom or around the base !!

dennisk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:36 pm »
it is I'm adding more pics now. I kept getting timed out when trying to upload them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:49:47 pm by dennisk »

dennisk

• View Profile
more pics of metal tree lamp
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:47:16 pm »
here are more of the lamp

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:16:20 pm »
I couldn`t get it to open but maybe you can,, I am on dial up !! Treadwaygallery.com has one, just different color shade,,see if you can see what their value is on it !! $1500. sounds about right to me !! The one on ebay for $900. had problems and it sold so I think that is a good price for a complete one !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
Your lamp is the next size up from the eBay one.  Bigger is always better!!  ;D  $1500 isn't a bad price, but I think you could do better by consigning it to somewhere like Rago Auctions.  I would carefully clean up the lamp, the shade is worth as much or more than the lamp & send them some photos along with dimensions, for their opinion.  They do not charge for this service.  Like a lot of antiques these days the price for lamps has gone down some but the rarer pieces are still commanding good prices.   GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »
That's true but by the time you pay commission and buyers premium,, and chance taking a lower price,, they would be better off taking a solid $1500. !! No guarantee at auction !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
The two threads/pictures postings have been merged into one!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:11:23 am »
I couldn`t get it to open but maybe you can,, I am on dial up !! Treadwaygallery.com has one, just different color shade,,see if you can see what their value is on it !! $1500. sounds about right to me !! The one on ebay for $900. had problems and it sold so I think that is a good price for a complete one !!

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/ONLINECATALOGS/Sept2004/0101-0150.html

Nearly 10 years ago, but #102 sold for $1900 at their auction.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:32:45 am »
By-the-way...a gorgeous piece of art there! 

If a dealer is going to offer you $1500 (and kept going up on the price) and they are going to resale...then you known it can get more for it.

HOWEVER...there is a big difference between an individual selling it, a store selling it and an auction house selling it.  With the individual GENERALLY getting a less price.  So lots of great advice here.

I do think you can get more than $1500 for this beautiful piece.

Where are you located?

I just HAD to come back and say...if you are going to clean it up like gg27 recommended..PLEASE DO IT CAREFULLY!!!  Over the years have seen people with good intentions devalue a piece with an Oops. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:39:39 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 10:38:28 am »
With the market the way it is and, Treadway making $1900. when prices were better, I would have taken the $1500. !! Like I said prices at auction are a crap shoot !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57:54 am »
I didn't say you had to sell by way of auction, just send the auction house some photos & ask the value.  I sold a similar lamp (different maker) a few years ago for $7200 after doing research on it & finding out that it was a rare lamp & there were indeed many deep pocketed collectors for it.
I love that the shade is covered with oak leaves & the base is basically an oak tree.  At this point I certainly wouldn't accept one dealers offer of $1500.  Large lamps of this age are very hard to find these days.  I've had 2 in the shop in 15 years.  GG

dennisk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57:12 am »
Thank you all for the great advice and actually finding a picture of one. If I were to try to clean it up a little any recommendations on what to use?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 09:10:16 am »
Damp soft cloth and soft brush just to get the dust out of the crevices !! No cleaners !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:15:52 am »
Ditto what Mart said.  Just water, very soft cloth and GENTLY clean.  Please no OOPS!!!