Author Topic: RC Allen Adding Machine  (Read 3899 times)

Liveoutdoors9

• View Profile
RC Allen Adding Machine
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »
New to the forum. Excited to tool around. Being a CPA I ended up finding an old RC Allen adding machine at an estate sale today for $20. Been finding them all over the internet but none exactly like the one I have. It's a "66" in red with two red buttons. I either see a white "66" with two red buttons or a red "66" with one red button. Not looking to resell, but I'm curious to know the age of it and what it's worth (more so the age). Just a cool conversation piece that still works well. I'm working on attaching a picture.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Anthony
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:09:42 pm by Liveoutdoors9 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: RC Allen Adding Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:14:32 pm »
Have you checked on ebay ??

Liveoutdoors9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »
Yea. Ton of them on there. Lots that look similar, but nothing the same. I'm looking more for the history of the machine. When it was manufactured than I am for the price though. I'm not too fond of eBay pricing either. Everything is "rare," "vintage," and "hard to find" on it. Prices are absurd for some things too.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »
Ebay can be a good pricing method if you take an average of sold listings, current list prices not sold, and auction prices... if it is rare it is really no help though
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

Liveoutdoors9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:22 pm »
True. Always end up not checking the sold. CM, trying to see you profile picture. Semper Fi?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
RC Allen was a brand for Kelly Mfg. Co.  !! It was formed in 1932 so we know it was  made after that date !! Try looking at Kelly`s history,,they now make aircraft instruments !!  Might find the info there !! Or try googling "RC Allen company history" !!  That's usually what I do !!  Bad weather here,, will check more tomorrow !!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:46:09 pm »
True. Always end up not checking the sold. CM, trying to see you profile picture. Semper Fi?

Yup... got out a little more then a year ago... 5 years in the infantry
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

Liveoutdoors9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
Never served but have always had a love for the Corps. Thanks for the service.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:42 am »
They generally had some imprinted information on the bottom (believe it was/is a aluminum bottom).

You could try your free trial on Worthpoint to check this one out but I don't think you will learn any more than you have with yours in hand.  This sold in 2008 for ?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-vintage-30s-40s-rc-allen-new-york-adding

Some History...  http://www.kellymfg.com/history.html

Searching....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:19:44 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:34 am »
For $56.00... If anyone finds something on worthpoint I have a subscription so just let me know

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!