Author Topic: Cezanne Prints?  (Read 774 times)

kate

• View Profile
Cezanne Prints?
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:53 pm »
I just realized that a painting I inherited from my great aunt is actually a reprint of Cezanne's still life with The Basket of Apples (http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/111436?search_no=2&index=16)

Now I know the original as at the Institute of Arts in Chicago, but I was curious if there was any value to reprints.  It looks (to me) exactly like the original but measures a bit smaller (22x28).  It is on canvas and is either painted or print (I can't see any obvious brush strokes).  Any chance I have some rare 2nd version of Cezannes' work?  ;D

mart

• View Profile
Re: Cezanne Prints?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:38:38 pm »
Its most likely a giclee print !! Many that are in the public domain and are copyright free are reproduced this way !!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Cezanne Prints?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:48:03 pm »
I'm a fan of Cezanne , so I'd just suggest (for starters) that you check out your cool little item with a magnifyer of some type (esp the artists' sig) , so as to be sure of what is what , kate .
It's even worth checking out the gesso , from the edges/back of your item , to see if it has been hand-applied (brushstrokes should be evident) .
Sometimes the stretcher-frame that a canvas is attached to will give some clues concerning age too .

Some old prints/glicees are of high quality & hold some higher value than the more recent types .....

Have you any idea about it's age ?

'Multiples' of pretty fair quality were sometimes marketed by high-end department stores , so if yours is one of those , it's a plus !

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "