Author Topic: Seth Thomas clock help  (Read 2698 times)

tony641

• View Profile
Seth Thomas clock help
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:47:42 pm »
I picked this clock up last year at an estate sale and just have it sitting around the house.   I'm thinking of taking it to an antique shop to trade for some items I'm more interested in.   I however know nothing about it.   Can someone help me out with an idea of what the clock is worth?  I don't want to go to the shop blind. 
Thanks for any help. Tony

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Seth Thomas clock help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:37 pm »
Nice find.  I would say between $200-$300 and possibly more.  Don't let them give you the reproduction story either.  You may want to stop at an auction house for an estimate before going in to trade.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:42:10 pm »
It's not often that you find an old clock marked with the retailer, location and date of sale. That should enhance the value to anyone with a sense of local history. (BTW: Just briefly checking, I see the jewelry store that sold the clock originally was destroyed by fire in 1885.)

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »
Thanks for the info.  There are no auction houses (or much of anything) close by so I have to rely on the internet to try and find values.  So I appreciate the info you all have to offer.  I didn't even think to look up the store that sold the clock.  That is very interesting information.  Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:53:06 pm »
You should be able to look it up by the serial number !! Try the NWACC for a better idea of value !! Those guys know clocks and watches !!

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:56:11 pm »
I saw that site but it looked like the rules stated that you could not ask for values of items in posts.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:06 pm »
Don`t know about that !! Try just telling them the same thing you told us,, that you are thinking about trading it and don`t want to get ripped off !! I bet someone would give you a general idea of what would be fair !! You don`t have to bluntly say "whats the value" !!  That's probably what they have a problem with !! Just apologize ahead of time in case you do something wrong !! I really don`t know their rules but I have used the site in researching other clocks and watches !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:46:32 am »
WOW, ...... Jan 1863 makes that a Civil War clock for sure ..... and in prima condition also.

And West Virginia was still western Virginia and would remain so for another 6 months.  ;D ;D

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »
So I took the drive to the antique shop.  They offered me between $75-$100.  I had some other items so I'm not positive the exact amount.   I would have taken it had I not received the info from you all.   I kept the clock and will figure out now if I will keep it or try again elsewhere.

Thanks again.   Tony

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
https://www.google.com/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Dated+Civil+war+era+Seth+Thomas+wall+clock&btnK=

Look through some of these,, then scroll down to "discoverclocks" and see if that site tells anything !! I think I saw a value guide there somewhere !! Is yours a wall clock or mantle clock, ?? Couldn`t guess size !!

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:03:38 pm »
Its a mantel clock.  In fact when I go to your link there are a few photos under the Google images section.   The 3rd clock is the same one I have.