Author Topic: Check these out!!!  (Read 7234 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Check these out!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »
Yep, I would have investigated further too but know that even tho they tried to leave these places as "safe" as possible...that isn't always the case. 

Just search "unexploded ornance at closed military bases" and there are lots of articles about it.  Unfortunately it happens.

I live in Texas, but go to Hawaii often and places that we have hiked in over the years now have new warnings for UXO's (unexploded ordnances).  Just last month new signs showed up in an area on Maui!  In fact the whole doggone island of Kaho'olawe is still uninhabitable today because it was used for testing bombs and sort of munitions.  There are so many UXO's that they cannot declare the island safe.  They have gone in so many times to try and clean it up and find that it isn't possible.  Even on the Big Island and other islands they still show up. 

So, do be aware that ANY PLACE THAT THEY USED TO PRACTICE has potential for having UXO's!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:35 am »
LOL  Well, I am thankful for that !!  We were worried !!  Frogpatch`s comments were not intended as snarky !! That's what guys say to other guys about being brave enough to do something!! (we don`t always figure out if a person is male or female easily,,some are still after all these years referring to me as "he")

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 06:58:59 pm »
LOL  Well, I am thankful for that !!  We were worried !!  Frogpatch`s comments were not intended as snarky !! That's what guys say to other guys about being brave enough to do something!! (we don`t always figure out if a person is male or female easily,,some are still after all these years referring to me as "he")

No worries needed.  ;D And it wasn't that comment that struck me wrong. It is that they implied I didn't have sense enough to not dig in a mine field....  ::) .... But there are no hard feelings, I just wanted to say that and I haven't given it another thought. :) And I thought u were male, too. lol. It is hard to know.....  :) ;) ;D 8) :-X

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 07:31:23 pm »
LOL !!  It is indeed !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:21 pm »
LOL  Now 3 gals from Texas on the site!  Can they handle it Mart?  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
LOL  Not if we get going all at once !! They have no chance !!

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »
LOL  Not if we get going all at once !! They have no chance !!
LOL  Now 3 gals from Texas on the site!  Can they handle it Mart?  LOL

Well let's get going then!!!! lol  8)

MArt and KC, what part of Texas are you ladies from.... as you may of figured out, I'm from East Texas.... almost as far east as you can go....  :)

KC, in pic 9, the diameter is 3 inches.... I would like the think that 9 fits in 8, but it wont go. Not sure if its from the rust or that they just don't go together. 8 is very reminiscent of a gauge casing or something like that.....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 04:49:16 am »
It is that they implied I didn't have sense enough to not dig in a mine field....  ::)

Well, someone dug them out of the ground, didn't they.

And someone carried them to where they could take pictures of them, didn't they.

One Labor Day we went to a huge “sale” at Jane Lew, WV, where there were dozens n’ dozens of garage sales and vendors set up selling their “goodies” with several thousand people running helter skelter throughout the town trying to find a “goody” to buy.

We were at this one residence that was having an “estate garage sale”, for lack of a better description, where the “kids” were selling their deceased father’s possessions from the house, outbuildings, etc., and had like 10 to 15 tables stacked full of “goodies” with people elbow to elbow a digging and a scratching to find a “prize” that suited their fancy.

Violet and I were doing likewise when somewhere behind us bout 30 to 40 feet there was this …. “KABOOM” …. that was loud enough to make me “duck for cover” while the gawkers just turned their heads to see what happen. Ya know, like they were at a “turkey shoot” ….. and they were the turkey ….. a “bopping” its head up to get shot at.

Well now, there was this “nosey” 16 or so year old boy, wearing one of those thin nylon jackets, who picked up a “flash” grenade off one of those tables or out of a box on the ground …… and pulled the “pin” ….. and then apparently laid it back down from where he had picked it up. Well now, lucky it didn’t kill him or seriously hurt him ……. but it burned/melted that nylon jacket right off the front of him, etc., etc.   

Betcha he learned not to do that again. Like Violet sometimes says, …. “If you wont listen, ….. then you will just havta feel”.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 06:45:51 am »
Wow cogar...what a sale!  When I see those items at sales i walk the other way because there WILL be someone that WILL be curious!

sreyomac, I am 10 mins west of DFW Airport directly between Dallas and Ft Worth!  My youngest son lives in Hawkins, your neck of the woods, and my eldest son lives in Shreveport, LA...so we have you surrounded!  :)

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:47 am »
It is that they implied I didn't have sense enough to not dig in a mine field....  ::)

Well, someone dug them out of the ground, didn't they.

And someone carried them to where they could take pictures of them, didn't they.

One Labor Day we went to a huge “sale” at Jane Lew, WV, where there were dozens n’ dozens of garage sales and vendors set up selling their “goodies” with several thousand people running helter skelter throughout the town trying to find a “goody” to buy.

We were at this one residence that was having an “estate garage sale”, for lack of a better description, where the “kids” were selling their deceased father’s possessions from the house, outbuildings, etc., and had like 10 to 15 tables stacked full of “goodies” with people elbow to elbow a digging and a scratching to find a “prize” that suited their fancy.

Violet and I were doing likewise when somewhere behind us bout 30 to 40 feet there was this …. “KABOOM” …. that was loud enough to make me “duck for cover” while the gawkers just turned their heads to see what happen. Ya know, like they were at a “turkey shoot” ….. and they were the turkey ….. a “bopping” its head up to get shot at.

Well now, there was this “nosey” 16 or so year old boy, wearing one of those thin nylon jackets, who picked up a “flash” grenade off one of those tables or out of a box on the ground …… and pulled the “pin” ….. and then apparently laid it back down from where he had picked it up. Well now, lucky it didn’t kill him or seriously hurt him ……. but it burned/melted that nylon jacket right off the front of him, etc., etc.   

Betcha he learned not to do that again. Like Violet sometimes says, …. “If you wont listen, ….. then you will just havta feel”.

Couger, as I already mentioned.... no digging was required..... we just removed leaves and debris that covered it..... and then lifted it out of the hole..... sheesh. The rifle grande was the second to last thing that was pulled out. But yes... not knowing what we had brought it home... since then the appropriate actions have been taken.....

Kc.... you and your family do surround me.... :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:53:39 am »
I am in Mt Pleasant !!  So about 80 miles or so from Tyler !!  We go there quite often for Hubby`s Dr`s appts !!