Author Topic: Check these out!!!  (Read 7241 times)

sreyomac

• View Profile
Check these out!!!
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:34 am »
Hey y'all, long time no hear....  ::)

Here are some things that were found buried in a hole on the old Camp Fannin Military base. It was an infantry Replacement Training Center and POW Camp during WWII, located near my mom's house.  We can identify the grenade clips and pins, and the ammo clip on a stripper clip. What can you guys tell me about the rest.

I love things with history!!!! XOXO

mart

• View Profile
Re: Check these out!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
That wouldn`t happen to be in Texas would it ??  Near the town of Leonard or Farmersville ??

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:44 am »
That wouldn`t happen to be in Texas would it ??  Near the town of Leonard or Farmersville ??

Near Tyler

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:48:28 am »
Mmmm,, I assumed Fannin county !! Will have to look that one up !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:25:00 am »
Mart, Your neck of the woods and my sons!  Just looked it up and part of it is now the current UT Health Center at Tyler!  Just a note syremoc "The abandoned base became the East Texas State Tuberculosis Sanatorium the following year" after it was closed!

If I am correct, this wasn't just a Army base/training camp...at one time there were POW's there!  Going to Wash DC today for my brothers retirements ceremonies this week (Dean of the National War College/National Defense University on the Potomac). Dinner at Mount Vernon..a fun historical week!

He's a big history buff.  I'll see if he can tell me more about this!

I'm sure a few will be popping in here within the next few days that can help you on these!  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:35:56 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:40 pm »
Well , sreyomac , you may have some very dangerous Army ordnance on your hands , esp. since it's old & in rough shape !!!!!

Sure looks like 22mm M1 (WW2 rifle) - launched grenades .

Other stuff looks related to the same 'applications' !

If they're not 'dummy' grenades , it's a job for your local Police Bomb Squad (ASAP , if you're askin' me !!!!!!!!!!)!

ASAP!!!

I for one would not like to loose you as a member here , sreyomac ! :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:34:14 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 07:34:35 pm »
Since it was a training camp could well be live !! I would not touch them till they could be checked !! The camp was only operating for 4 years starting in 1943 so the age can be pretty well determined !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:55:34 pm »
At my brothers and he TOTALLY AGREES!!!!  BE VERY CAREFUL.  If these were duds and didn't fire back then they still may have active explosive ordnance in them!!!!!!!  They would be very unstable due to age!!!!!!

You have RIFLE GRENADE THERE!!!!!!! BEEEEEEEE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!

You have parts of grenades

The first picture looks like a US GI Springfield 1903A3 five round stripper clips.

Can you clean up the piece in the 3rd picture - looks like there is some writing on the side of it!  Could have been the tail fin section of a mortar.

Looks like the end carp of a mortar on pic 4.

The words WITHIN in bold were used for CAUTION this was possible a sign.

Picture 6 & 7 are for the Mark II Grenade - Picture is most likely the safety pin and 7 are the safety levers.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:05:14 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:51 pm »
Pictures 8 & 9 need better pics.  Can you please give dimensions?

Picture 10  Rifle Grenade Launchers

Back to the first picture - the item at bottom left side of photo is the base of US WWII M1-Garand Rifle Grenade Adapter

Some more information on Camp Fannin!
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc11

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:10:10 pm by KC »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:44 pm »
Scary,  you could have reall5 gotten hurt just digging.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:32:25 pm »
I believe that the 'stripper' clip may also be unfired/exploded ordnance as well , as they sure do look like the 'special' type of rounds that were used for helping send the projectiles on their way (to kill people &/or blow stuff up) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »
It takes a big pair to dig in a place like that. Whats next an old mine field? Your lucky you did not lose that pair and a few other parts. I will stick to digging for bottles.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 02:42:08 pm »
My brother said they stopped using most of these items before he got into infantry.  He cannot stress enough...BEWARE and BE CAREFUL!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:25:07 pm »
If it were me I would call the local bomb squad and not touch these things till they were cleared by them !!  Arms and legs are not easy to replace !!  Not to mention the rest of you and anyone else within reasonable distance when these explode !!
Come to think of it,, sreyomac hasn`t been back since these were posted,,,hope nothing happened !! You would think there would be a warning posted if there was a possibility of live ordnance !!  Even if old stuff !!  He said it was near his mothers house !!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:31:24 pm by mart »

sreyomac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:47:26 pm »
Well , sreyomac , you may have some very dangerous Army ordnance on your hands , esp. since it's old & in rough shape !!!!!

Sure looks like 22mm M1 (WW2 rifle) - launched grenades .

Other stuff looks related to the same 'applications' !

If they're not 'dummy' grenades , it's a job for your local Police Bomb Squad (ASAP , if you're askin' me !!!!!!!!!!)!

ASAP!!!

I for one would not like to loose you as a member here , sreyomac ! :o

Fancypants, don't worry, I'm here to stay! ;)

I believe that the 'stripper' clip may also be unfired/exploded ordnance as well , as they sure do look like the 'special' type of rounds that were used for helping send the projectiles on their way (to kill people &/or blow stuff up) .

And those are just casings.

Pictures 8 & 9 need better pics.  Can you please give dimensions?

Picture 10  Rifle Grenade Launchers

Back to the first picture - the item at bottom left side of photo is the base of US WWII M1-Garand Rifle Grenade Adapter

Some more information on Camp Fannin!
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc11

KC, ty for all your info. Very helpful. I have been to that site, its a good one. I love knowing about the history from where I from. :) And I have passed the precautions along....

It takes a big pair to dig in a place like that. Whats next an old mine field? Your lucky you did not lose that pair and a few other parts. I will stick to digging for bottles.

Frogpatch your snarky post makes me take offence.... I never said I was digging..... this is a commercial and residential area, so no mind field for me.  It was raked over and out popped something.... we just uncovered it.... we didn't know what was in there. I'm sure you would have investigated it further if you were in the same situation. But you just stick to your bottles.... no one is stoppin' ya.  :-X ::) ;)

If it were me I would call the local bomb squad and not touch these things till they were cleared by them !!  Arms and legs are not easy to replace !!  Not to mention the rest of you and anyone else within reasonable distance when these explode !!
Come to think of it,, sreyomac hasn`t been back since these were posted,,,hope nothing happened !! You would think there would be a warning posted if there was a possibility of live ordnance !!  Even if old stuff !!  He said it was near his mothers house !!

Im here mart.... thanks for your concern. And I'm a woman.... lol  ;D :D  8)