Author Topic: Beautiful Chandelier! Please help!  (Read 3398 times)

Jessamilly

• View Profile
Beautiful Chandelier! Please help!
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:33:52 am »
Good morning!

My husband and I were out treasure hunting the other day, and this beautiful chandelier is one of the things we found! Unfortunately my searches have found nothing, all we know is that it was likely given by family from Ireland. It is quite heavy probably about 40 pounds, made from cast metal, painted with brass lacquer in some places, and in other places it's painted with what seems to be some kind of white ceramic. The designs on the ceramic look as though they were once painted green and red. There are no identifying marks, except one stamp that reads "Empire" on the cast metal. Any help would be very greatly appreciated! Thank you!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: Beautiful Chandelier! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:09:52 am »
it is so beautiful-never have seen anything like it--such a refreshing change from the ones with fake candle looking things

can't wait to see how this one plays out=how old do you think it is/

Jessamilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:35 am »
Honestly, we're unsure but we are guessing (based on the wiring, lack of any stamps or markings and the metal) somewhere between 75 and 100 years, my husband thinks even older than that. Although without experience we could be totally wrong and it could be from the 60's!  :) I love it, it really is beautiful! I haven't seen anything like it either. I'm excited to see what we can learn.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:37 am »
It looks like it was patinated brass that has worn and is shiney where vthe patination was rubbed off from dusting or polishing !! Where are you located or where did you buy this chandelier ??  Would help to see the whole thing rather than bits and pieces !! Need to know what it looks like when it is hanging !! What does the wiring look like ?? Pic of it too please !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »
Many of the key elements are not visible to me, like the sockets, wiring, and the general appearance when hung, as Mart said. I would like to know what it looks like within the splice chamber where the wires for the arms are connected. The fact that it says patented makes me think it is an American product and is wired for 120V (110V) which would date it from the 1920s or 30s. From what I can see it is a beautiful piece. 

Jessamilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
Thank you all so much!

As soon as my husband is home and can lift while I photograph, I'll post more photos! We live in Ontario, Canada and actually received this piece from a family friend. They are moving their parents into a smaller house and are unloading 50 years worth of stuff and this is just one of the treasures we've received!

Rauville

• View Profile

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »
There was an Empire Lighting Fixture Company of New York and a Empire Lamp and Brass Manufacturing Company, Chicago (1915 - 1923) that has many patents from the early 1900's.

The first has lots of patents under the name of Norman Lipsky!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jessamilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »
You guys are absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for everything!

Here are more photos! I think I'll have to do it in two posts, I hope that's ok!

Jessamilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »
and these  :) If there is another angle you need please let me know!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
That cloth wrapped wire would put it in the 1920`s art nouveau period !! Its a nice one but please have it rewired if you are going to use it !! That wire sure does not meet todays code !! I could find nothing to speak of on any of the Empire lighting companies,,didn`t find that last one though !! Frogpatch might know more with these new pics !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:17 pm »
What is so unique about yours is that they look like hanging tulips!  The more I look at the pics the more I like it!

This isn't the typical looking pan chandelier that you would see at that time.  It looks more Victorian (in style).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:18:48 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:57:17 am »
I agree with Mart.

Jessamilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »
I really appreciate the feedback! If I find any new info I'll let you know! Thanks for the help!