Author Topic: Antique Wood Decal High Chair  (Read 2056 times)

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
Antique Wood Decal High Chair
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:16 am »
Purchased an antique high chair from a rummage sale. It's very cute and I'm guessing it's from the late 40's early 50's? It's in very good shape for it's age. I just would like some more information on it, and possibly a value (for insurance purposes).  I have attached a link to the pictures.  Just want some more info about it such as when it was made, and who made it?  Thank You!

Melissa

http://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/vintage-poodle-decal-high-chair
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:02:42 am by KC »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Wood Decal High Chair
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:34:00 am »
That link is not good !! But from your link description it is from the 50`s !! You could get them with different decals depending on if it was for a boy or girl !! My cousin and I had one but it had a little lamb with a pink bow !! I always had to sit in it while he got one my grandfather made because he thought the pink bow was too girlie for him !!
They were made by many mfrs,, no way to know which one unless the name is on it !! Value is not much but some doll collectors use them for show pieces !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:54 am »
Corrected the links for them Mart.  You should be able to see now.  :)

These are used by doll collectors but are rarely used for children.  They actually are considered a hazard.  If you note that there isn't a strap to keep a children from sliding out from under the tray.  (I remember hearing stories of how I would slide out!  LOL)  It is currently recommended to have a safety harness (and a specific one at that).

Your best value is $15 - $50 depending on the area you are in.  You will see some for much higher, but they are from a reputable/proven manufacturer and are considered collectible.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:27:07 am »
Also the style on yours is a bit earlier than I originally thought !! Probably mid to late 40`s !!  Although these were used for many years in families and passed down !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:52:04 pm »
In Canada, these have only decorative value for doll or bear collectors.  It is actually illegal to sell them at garage sales etc as a high chair if they have no restraints & you can only sell them as such.
It's 1950's vintage as others have pointed out, no real collector's value.  The only ones I have ever seen go for significant money are Thonet high chairs.  I never have them in the shop as I could be sued if someone used it as a high chair & their child was harmed.  GG

Mizmelzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:40:01 pm »
I planned on using this one. I have seen on the net how to make a harness from highchair straps that straps the child in without having the need to damage the chair by fastening the straps to the high chair.  They buckle underneith the high chair.  And are fastened to a cushion that ties onto the chair. And around it. Keeping the child in it. Was looking for value. I wanted to make sure on value to properly catalogue it incase of fire/theft. Ect. :)

Mel

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »
In most areas,, about $30. on average !! Here in my part of Texas,,probably less than that !! They can be found easily and only doll/bear collectors use them !! They might give up to $40. or $50. for one depending on its condition !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:59:22 pm »
I am not too far from Mart...but it would be $30 tops in our area!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!