Author Topic: Signed Pottery, Ceramic Pitcher  (Read 1589 times)

myracles103

• View Profile
Signed Pottery, Ceramic Pitcher
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »
Hello friends!

I know this doesn't constitute and antique, but if anyone knew the answer, I knew it would be you guys. You have been so helpful in the past!

I found this 5" tall pitcher signed "REID '71" at a yard sale last weekend for $4. I see there are quite a few potters with this surname, and thought maybe the experts would know which one. It is a beautiful piece, and will be enjoyed even if it's only worth the $4 I paid!

Thanks in advance for your help!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Signed Pottery, Ceramic Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »
That is what I always referred to s studio pottery from the 70s. Potters of varied ability and skill would take up the art as a hobby or a way to make a non conventional living. There were droves of them. Some people call it hippy pottery. I have a couple pieces that are really well done and I have seen some "don't quit your day job" pieces. Yours is nicely done. It will take a long time for the cream of all these potters to rise to the top and get a collectors base. If you like it display it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:35 pm »
Yep !!  I agree with Frogpatch !!

myracles103

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
Guess this won't make me a millionaire today! Thanks for your help. Could you tell me anything else about the glaze, etc.? I'd like to know--or appear to know-- what I'm talking about with this piece displayed!

Thank you again!