Author Topic: Personalized Anchor Pottery Vase  (Read 3960 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Personalized Anchor Pottery Vase
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:00 am »
I found this over the weekend and it normally would not have interested me except for two things.It was made in New Jersey like me, and it has an insignia on it from a hotel or family or something. This is probably a real long shot but does anyone have a clue what the symbol on the side stood for? It is right on the side on the hip of the piece in green. I also put a picture of the bottom mark. I looked that up and it seems to date from around 1900. The piece is around 4 inches high. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:21:11 am by frogpatch »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Personalized Anchor Pottery Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:15:28 pm »
If it helps. the monogram has a wreath and a thistle over it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »
I have been looking for this monogram but have found nothing !!  Most of the lists are for business monograms and it wasn`t there !! That is an "He" isn`t it ?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:30:14 am »
Now that might be a "personal" monogram that was "special" ordered for a complete set of dishes/tableware.

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:30 am »
Hotel ware?  Carleton Hotel or something like that.... GG

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:06:20 pm »
It was a luxury to have monogrammed items.  So this could easily be for an individual!

What is tickling me, is when I look at the monogram....the C or E looks like a fish to me.  The left side is pointed (instead of arched like a typical letter would be) and it has a dot like an eye!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:26:24 am »
Thanks everyone. It will probably always remain a mystery. For now I will stick some spring flowers in it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »
I couldn`t find anything on that monogram,, I checked hotels too and zilch !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:41:31 pm »
Perhaps it came from a steamliner company/ship .... they commonly had their own 'logos' & etc on servingware (& lotsa other stuff too)  ... can't say as I recognize the mark on yours though , frogpatch .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:46:47 am »
I am curious about the "leafy" twig within the wreath .... which has what looks like a thistle seed pod.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:55 pm »
He said above that it was a thistle !!  Perhaps we should be looking in Scotland rather than here !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 05:18:17 am »
He said above that it was a thistle !! 

OOPs, I missed that.

Here ya go ...............

The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle is an order of chivalry associated with Scotland. The current version of the Order was founded in 1687 by King James VII of Scotland (also known as James II of England and Ireland) who asserted that he was reviving an earlier Order. The Order consists of the Sovereign and sixteen Knights and Ladies, as well as certain "extra" knights (members of the British Royal Family and foreign monarchs). The Sovereign alone grants membership of the Order; he or she is not advised by the Government, as occurs with most other Orders.

The Order's primary emblem is the thistle, the national flower of Scotland. The motto is Nemo me impune lacessit (Latin for "No one provokes me with impunity").[1] The same motto appears on the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom for use in Scotland and some pound coins, and is also the motto of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, Scots Guards, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada and Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. The patron saint of the Order is St Andrew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Thistle

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:02 am »
I honestly can't see a Scottish person or company ordering anything from Trenton, NJ when Britain is known for its many quality potteries. Just saying.

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:59 am »
Could be anything - needles in a stack of needles time - but i know of very few cases where an individual has their own vases monogrammed. Inscriptions are far more common but this is a transfer after the vase was made.

Could be a unique design for the Cameron Highlanders, who used an X within a wreath but sometimes a thistle replaced the X. Maybe the recipient was in that regiment or it was in the mess for a time.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:29 am »
It was worth the one dollar she paid for it just as a conversation piece. (this conversation)