Author Topic: Antique fireplace cover ?  (Read 3234 times)

anniebee

• View Profile
Antique fireplace cover ?
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:34 am »
I got this fireplace cover for a steal ($25) not really knowing what it was. Like an idiot, I tried cleaning it and then decided to spray paint it black to match my fireplace. Now I'm wondering should I have it sandblasted to restore it back to as close to original condition or just leave it for the time being. Has anyone seen this design? I got it in western NC, if that helps. (See the before and after pics, but just be mindful the before pic is of it wet so it did look better wet).

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique fireplace cover ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:53 am »
Well,, the first thing you should have done is nothing at all !! You lost half of any value it had !! Collectors, dealers, and those that just love antiques,,also love the originality of it !! Rust and all !!

anniebee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:15:36 am »
Yep, I know the error of my ways. Functionally speaking for my space the piece was flaking off rust and I did choose to paint it to match my existing fireplace. I've seen some covers on eBay asking for a $200-900. But they are usually much more intricate. I'm just wondering if I had it sandblasted, what color would it restore with the piece being cast iron? And does anyone know anything about the markings.

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:02 am »
Sandblasting will further ruin any antique value it has left.  Cast iron is very fragile & you will soften all the detail.  If you want to remove the paint, use paint remover.  A soft wire brush & elbow grease will remove most of the rust if you don't like that look.  Then apply a few thin coats of wax to bring up the details.  GG

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:28 pm »
Great advice gg27!

Yep, the "elbow grease" way is the hardest but the best!  Clean it up and see how it looks first!

These covers in original state (and good condition) range from $140 - $500 in my neck of the woods as well.  The more intricate, the more $$.  Yours sure has a beautiful pattern to it... not plain at all.

Off the subject a bit...as a kid growing up I wondered why they spray painted paper plates and put them on the fireplace covers!  Seriously, when you look at the inset piece...it looks like a painted paper plate!  LOL

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:26:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »
Good for you learning from a mistake.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:23 pm »
Like gg27 said,, never sandblast cast iron !! Do what she/he recommended and see how it looks !! Sorry gg27,, didn`t know which to use !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »
Like gg27 said,, never sandblast cast iron !! Do what she/he recommended and see how it looks !! Sorry gg27,, didn`t know which to use !!

She.  If you click on my name it gives a small amount of info, including this!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »
That's what I was going to use but thought I had better go neutral,,,lest I get in deep manure !!  ;D

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:31:03 pm »
lest I get in deep manure !!  ;D
Not a good place to be....  GG

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
Lampback/stoveblack was the standard item used (way back when yours was cast) for maintaining the surface of items like yours , anniebee .
The main deal about finishing/refinishing cast iron is to clean it very well & be sure to fully dry the piece (so you won't seal in moisture) proir to application of any finish .

Cool little project !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "