Author Topic: antique chest - age query  (Read 950 times)

Rmon128

• View Profile
antique chest - age query
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »
Hi. I posted this on Ebay's antique forum, but still have some questions. I purchased this small chest yesterday at a thrift store. Its dimensions are 27x14.5x16. The top, front and sides all have a design made into the wood, possibly with pyrography? Just a guess. I can't find any markings on the chest except for the pattern. When I posted my query onto the ebay forum with a picture, a poster commented that he felt the chest was a late 19th century piece, possibly a continental european piece or made by immigrants. He thought it was pine or pitch pine. However, later I posted a picture of the inside of the chest and someone else commented that, upon seeing the inside, they felt the piece was commercially made and might date back to the 1930s because of the interlocking slats on the bottom of the chest. I would welcome any feedback or ideas on the origins of the chest, the design, whether or not it is handmade, and the age. Thanks in advance. I hate having an antique that I don't know much about.  ;D

mart

• View Profile
Re: antique chest - age query
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »
Can you take a better pic ?? This one is so small that I can`t see details !! Also take one with the top open so we can see inside. Looks like possibly a European blanket chest but need to get a better look !!