Author Topic: help figuring this antique out...  (Read 3031 times)

birdfan

• View Profile
help figuring this antique out...
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
Hi...I am new here. My father passed away a few years ago and I now have these bird figures from him, they used to be my Grandmother's. There are two of them, both gold birds. Very very heavy. No markings indicating the manufacturer.  Any ideas?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: help figuring this antique out...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »
Can you give some dimensions?

Is it brass? and painted?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:21:49 am »
Looks a bit like copper or possibly bronze if they are very heavy.   But I too would like dimensions & possibly some more information.  Location & any other info you might have.  GG

birdfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:10:17 am »
Thank you for the reply.  I will take dimensions tonight when I get home from work.  I am really bad with this, but the blue coloring (the other one is red, like a cardinal) looks like it could be painted.  I will also weigh it, because they are very heavy.  I just remember my Dad telling me they were very expensive, I thought he said they were from Tiffany's....but I am not sure he knew what he was talking about.  Will get more information and post again.  Thanks.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:05:28 am »
I would call it Garden Art. I really like it. It would attract a large amount of interest if you wanted to sell it. I say "it" because I only see the one. Folk Art decorators would use it inside and landscape decorators would use it also. I could think of many places where it would grab attention. If it were mine It would be displayed on my sunporch and be a focal point.

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:32:58 am »
Thank you for the reply.  I will take dimensions tonight when I get home from work.  I am really bad with this, but the blue coloring (the other one is red, like a cardinal) looks like it could be painted.  I will also weigh it, because they are very heavy.  I just remember my Dad telling me they were very expensive, I thought he said they were from Tiffany's....but I am not sure he knew what he was talking about.  Will get more information and post again.  Thanks.
Have you checked on the base for a mark from Tiffanys?  They could be cold painted bronze if they are.  More info & maybe some close up photos of the base would be helpful.  GG

birdfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:48 pm »
Hi. I measured and they are both 1ft x 1 ft. I did find a signature, so excited because I missed it before. It reads on both J F TRUBAC. I have also attached more pictures.  Thanks for the help!

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:12 pm »
Image of the signature would be nice. The name doesn't exist.

birdfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »
Signature

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »
Mmmm,, I couldn`t find it either !!  Have you checked both of them ?? Are they the same sig. ?  Any other writing ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:09:30 pm »
Am I seeing that correctly...the B is backwards? and upside down?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

birdfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »
I know..curious and slightly frustrated.  My Grandmother most likely got it between 1940-1980...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »
That's what it looks like to me KC !! I didn`t find anything with that description either !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:30 am »
You are right, KC, there is something strange about that “mark”.

It appears to be a “J”, … then an “FTRU”,  … then a “symbol” …. and then an “AC”.

Me thinks the "J" might be the "initial" of the artist since it is not in line with the other letters.

And with all capital letters it might be like an "EAPG" (early american etc.) or "U" for union or university, etc. .... just guessing.

birdfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for the help with this mystery. For now the origin is unknown but they look great on the mantle.  I am going to post another treasure from dear old Dad/Grandma!