Author Topic: ANTIQUES IDENTIFICATION - Metal Beer Stein  (Read 5571 times)

DLady

• View Profile
ANTIQUES IDENTIFICATION - Metal Beer Stein
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:58:07 pm »
Here is an antique metal beer stein in which I'm trying to identify for age and value.  I will be selling this.  

First of all, I can't figure out what it's actually made of.  At first, I assumed it was pewter, but after some observation (and weighing), I'm starting to think there's lead mixed in.  
The beer stein is 6 1/2" in height (with the lid closed), is 11 3/4" in circumference and has a base of 4" in diameter.  It's "hefty," weighing in at 3 lbs., 2.4 oz.  I could not imagine actually drinking beer from it and having to lift it numerous times, but it would probably be good for my forearm muscles.  lol  

Besides three very thin lines encircling the lover portion, the beer stein is void of any decoration.

The stamp on the bottom of the stein has been somewhat...irritati ng, as I have not been able to identify it whatsoever.  As you will see from the photo, the mark is of a flower encircled with lettering, which I can barely make out.  So far...the only positive identification of letters is (I believe) "ZUIDE".  

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Sincerely,
"DLady"

PS.  I do have additional photos.  If you're interested in viewing more, please don't hesitate to contact me via Email at "luckylady1863@yahoo.com"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:56:01 pm by DLady »

mart

• View Profile
Re: ANTIQUES IDENTIFICATION - Metal Beer Stein
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:21 pm »
Is there a pic please ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »
Hi!

Have two sites for you!

Stein Collectors International has a section called Stein Talk that you can ask questions and post for help in identification.  However, limit your question to identification ONLY!! They have very strict rules on the site and I quote "Offering steins for sale or promoting stein sales is not allowed on Steintalk.
Posts that violate this policy will be removed or edited.
DO NOT include your email address in your post requesting information on a stein. This will be interpreted as an attempt to sell the stein.
DO NOT mention that your stein is for sale.
DO NOT include links to your current eBay auction or any other sales venue.
If you have any questions please contact me at sci@steincollectors.org.
Webmaster"
http://steincollectors.org/disc14_Frames.asp

The other site that you can look through is a very lengthy one but has a good database
http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein553#w

Let us know if you find out anything! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:09:30 am »
I think the mark is Zuidema Winschoten.

This is for W Zuidema, know for metalware in Holland. Mainly late Art Nouveau period. He had a store in Dordrecht

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:45:51 am »
Ipcress=how did that just roll off your tongue?

DLady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:03:16 am »
Thank you...everyone, for the input. 
I'll check things out. 
I truly appreciate it!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:02 am »

I read the mark. Saw the start of the word Winschoten, knew of the place so Googled.

And thanks for my smite, whoever that was ! Really nice of you...
And by nice i mean pathetic.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:49:06 am »
So isn't this considered to be a tankard instead of a stein?

I only found one other tankard with Zuidema Winschoten on it.  No others.

By-the-way, Ipcress...so nice having you here!  Now that I blow up the touch mark, it shows along the bottom WINSCH!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:52:55 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
There are some Dutch sites with similar items listed. A couple of European auction sites with them.

Here's the article about the shop

http://aboutartnouveau.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/wijnstraat-223-dordrecht/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »

I read the mark. Saw the start of the word Winschoten, knew of the place so Googled.

And thanks for my smite, whoever that was ! Really nice of you...
And by nice i mean pathetic.

There has to be something going on Ipcress,,even KC has one !!  No reason for either of you to get a smite !!  Unless you just forgot to dot your i or something !! And why would KC have one ?? Maybe she smiled wrong ??

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:48:47 am »
I think the mark is Zuidema Winschoten.

This is for W Zuidema, know for metalware in Holland. Mainly late Art Nouveau period. He had a store in Dordrecht

I don't think this is the same 'Zuidema'. In fact, I'm pretty sure because I know the shop in Dordrecht :D. Willem Zuidema was a 'tinnegieter' (pewterer) who lived and worked in Winschoten from 1765 till 1806. On this site the 'beer stein' is described as a measuring cup (http://fotoswinschotererfgoed.blogspot.nl/2012/02/tinnen-maatkan-met-deksel-deze-kan.html). I couldn't find a lot of information on Zuidema pewter ('tin' in dutch). I did find some pewter hot water bottles with similar markings. Dating back to mid 19th century. Which would suggest the factory existed after the founder died.

Here is a link to the Dutch pewter society (http://www.nederlandsetinvereniging.nl/qa.php). You can post here and ask for info. Good luck!

Niels

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:14:49 am by Niels »

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:34:21 am »
" Around 1915, the shop was taken over by W. Zuidema. Zuidema most likely had a shop similar to Touwen’s shop, because he advertised with “Pewter, Crystal, Earthenware, Copper. Received new shipments of Breakfast- and Tea Sets, Serving Trays, Lamps, Crafted Glass from Leerdam. See shop window.” (source: Dordrechtsch Nieuwsblad wed 19 Febr. 1930) "

And looking more closely at the mark, there's a W before Zuidema.

The Zuidema you mention and the one in the article are probably related.

Here's a similar item with the same mark

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/antiek-en-kunst/antiek-tin/m781718456-tinnen-kruik.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:46:17 am »
" Around 1915, the shop was taken over by W. Zuidema. Zuidema most likely had a shop similar to Touwen’s shop, because he advertised with “Pewter, Crystal, Earthenware, Copper. Received new shipments of Breakfast- and Tea Sets, Serving Trays, Lamps, Crafted Glass from Leerdam. See shop window.” (source: Dordrechtsch Nieuwsblad wed 19 Febr. 1930) "

And looking more closely at the mark, there's a W before Zuidema.

The Zuidema you mention and the one in the article are probably related.

Here's a similar item with the same mark

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/antiek-en-kunst/antiek-tin/m781718456-tinnen-kruik.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

Possibly. But Zuidema is a very common surname in Holland, just as Willem. Something like William Smith in the US. I'm from Dordrecht and I know a little about the history of the shop. regards, Niels

Niels

• View Profile

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 09:27:12 am »
The shop also marked their items with " W Zuidema - Winschoten " inside a circle.

http://aboutartnouveau.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/wijnstraat-223-dordrecht/servies-zuidema003/

Highly likely the two people are related.