Author Topic: Any value to this Scottish Cairngorm Stag napkin holder w Citrine?Pale hallmarks  (Read 2602 times)

RikkiSowtz

• View Profile
I couldn't really give a fig about value; when my Gran passed away there was a table of things to pick one piece from, and I chose this one;

I was just surfing Yahooimages and saw a similar brooch, and after a bit more searching found that Cairngorm in Scotland is semi-famous for having deer/stags, and the only reindeer in the British Isles,

It's silver plated, rather than solid silver - it has worn hallmarks which look like they might be a capital 'S', an 'N' (maybe R?), maybe a lower case 'a', and 1 more totally indiscernible.

It also has a citrine set in the crest which the area is known for,

We have Scottish ancestry, think maybe some MacDonalds somewhere down the line;

I'm trying to find out ANY information on it,

My other question; is it ok to RHODIUM PLATE (white gold plate) over the top of a silver plated piece? It's a little bent out of shape and the plating has worn through in places; I'm a jeweller, so I have easy access to rhodium plating gear which would bring it right up, but just want to make sure I'm not ruining the piece.

Cheers!

mart

• View Profile
Can you take a close pic of the hallmarks ?? Might help to see who made it !! As far as the re-plating, if its just for you,, I see no reason why not !!  If you wanted to sell it,, then leave it as is !! Most want originality in what they buy but as it is a plated item would likely not be expensive anyway !!
Ipcress may be able to tell you more about it !!  Its very unusual !!

RikkiSowtz

• View Profile
The hallmarks aren't very clear, even under an eyeglass that's about as discernible as they get, looks like the stamp slipped a bit on most of them.

These, however, were on an old style emerald and rose gold ring I had bought into work once, stamped A. Amour, think it was a star, a chalice etc, any thoughts on this one?

I have the Perth Mint London, Birmingham, Edinburgh & Sheffield hallmark identification book, but I think this piece was early Australian

Ipcress

Hi !

Need to see those marks near the stag's head. They might appear odd to you but maybe we could decipher them - if you know what to expect, it's easier to read something like that.

The ring is 9ct. An image of the style would help

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Q
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:20 am »
Hi!  Welcome to the forum!

Question, why do you want to plate it?  Is something wrong with the finish? 

When you replate an item you will 1) change the whole piece which is actually changing the sentimental value of the inheritance, 2) will lose the beautiful/natural patina from aging, 3) will lose the hallmark details even more than is shown at this point, as well as, 4) lost distinct details of the current piece as a whole.

If not properly and thickly covered and you use it often, the outer/new layer of plating will wear over time.  Even a deep scratch can result with the silver tarnishing UNDERNEATH and it can/will appear black (like a cheap metal is underneath).  (Unfortunately, people find this out with rings all the time.)

Now, will it look newer and prettier...yes. 

From the pictures, it looks grand!  What a great piece...and it may have come through the years from your ancestry.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gg27

• View Profile
Are you sure it's plate?  In looking at the marks, it looks like the town mark for Edinburgh.  In either case, I wouldn't replate it.  I've seen people take lovely antique pieces & replate them in horrid "way too white" new silver.  I won't buy them because none of my customers will buy them.  So unless it's completely down to the base metal & it means a lot to you, it wouldn't be worth doing even if you have access to inexpensive plating.   Nice piece, I love all the Scottish cairngorm pieces, especially the brooches with the grouse foot attached!   ;)  GG

RikkiSowtz

• View Profile
Saw a few of those Grouse Claw brooches, awesome :)  Here's a few of the Napkin Holder's hallmarks...

gg27

• View Profile
Upside down, but now I can see it's EPNS, so you're right it's plate.  But I still wouldn't replate it.  But that's just me.  Not a lot of value here.  Nice that you will have a small token from your Gran.  GG

Ipcress

Agree with GG.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Ditto what the others put!  Just the fact that they held on to it for all these years shows it's a sentimental piece that they cherished and didn't sell/give away!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Ok,, Gotta toss my horseshoe and see where it lands,, We all know that it is better to leave items like this as they are !! But if it is going to be thrown in a drawer and not used as it is,, then I would say to re-plate it with the white gold and use it !!  Too many times things are kept just because they are Grandma`s but Grandma is not given a second thought till they are cleaning out the junk drawer !!  (Not saying you are like this but some are)  At least if its done well and is used,, you are reminded of her more often !!