Author Topic: Independence Ironstone by Castleton China, Inc.  (Read 3309 times)

Diabudd

• View Profile
Independence Ironstone by Castleton China, Inc.
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:07 pm »
I have a set of 4 - just the plates (with the cup spot) and coffee cups.  Just wondering what they might be worth and/or how to market them.  See photos.

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Independence Ironstone by Castleton China, Inc.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:57 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »
Have never heard them called Tennis sets,, that's a new one for me !! Here in the U.S. they are called snack sets or luncheon sets !!  Value is very little since there were so many of these made mostly in the 50`s and 60`s !!  Its hard to get $20. for the whole thing !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:25:32 pm »
I dunno, they seem to be called Tennis Sets on Ebay.... maybe it's a regional thing.   :)  GG

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Pottery-Glass-/870/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=tennis+sets

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
Could be !! Or they may be looking for a marketing strategy since Tennis is pretty popular everywhere !!  I have bougt a few of these sets back in the 60`s and given them as gifts !! Most of the department stores here had several styles !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:16:50 am »
Have only heard them called "tennis sets" when they were made of "bone china".  If you look at "typical" tennis sets they were smaller plates - for petite eating.

I have inherited 2 full sets and some are still in original boxes - they were called snack sets or luncheon sets.  From the 20's to the 60's when playing cards, women having luncheons, home weddings, canasta, etc were regular social event.  You will find them clear glass, milk glass, ironstone,  and china.

You can find the glass ones everywhere here (garage sales, GoodWill, second hand stores, estate sales, etc).  Like Mart said, they don't demand a high price.  (ironstone overall weren't that popular due to weight - so if yours are more modern they are more lightweight.) 
In my area/California/Florida/Louisiana/Arkansas/Mississippi you would be doing really good if you get $8 - $10 for these.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:31 am »

In my area/California/Florida/Louisiana/Arkansas/Mississippi you would be doing really good if you get $8 - $10 for these .

You forgot Texas !!  :D

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
I asked a couple of other dealers what they call them.

1) Tennis Sets if they are china, snack sets if they are pyrex or jadite etc, retro style items.

2) Never heard them called anything but Tennis Sets  (she was actually a bit appalled that anyone would consider calling them anything else, but this dealer has a higher end shop & is a bit uummm.... well you know!   ;)

So.... I think this is one of those very regional things.  Here on the west coast of Canada we are very much still a British Colony & as such may still use some of the quaint terminology!  :D 

Can get good money for some of the better ones as the fashion for tea parties here is becoming big again, especially for weddings.  Tea cups too, gawd, I'd better drag all those wretched things out of storage & get rid of them while the market is good!   GG

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:30:10 pm »
Mart, the first note "my area" was meaning Texas...but should have put that.  Thanks for the scolding!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:48:08 pm »
Oh, and before I forget, there are absolutely beautiful "Tea and Toast" china sets!!  Typically European!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:47 am »
Mart, the first note "my area" was meaning Texas...but should have put that.  Thanks for the scolding!  :)

;D  Had to get you on that one !!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »
I so richly deserved that Mart!. Thanks for keeping me in line.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:20:53 pm »
All in fun !!