Author Topic: Help Identifying an Antique Dresser  (Read 1618 times)

curious23

• View Profile
Help Identifying an Antique Dresser
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:39:17 pm »
Hello,

My father used to own an antique store and said this dresser was worth quite a bit. He has since passed and so cannot be asked for more details. Does anyone recognize the potential maker or anything about it? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:31:50 pm by curious23 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help Identifying an Antique Dresser
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:06:21 am »
Hi there and welcome to the group !!  Need a few more pics to be able to help !! Can you open a drawer and take a good close pic of the dovetails/joinery ? Also a close up of the hardware and a pic of the back as well as another pic of the front that shows the entire chest !! The one posted is not very clear !! During what years was your Dad in business and are you in the U.S. ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:47:08 am »
Everything that Mart asked for plus a picture of a drawer bottom and the side of the piece, please. Try to stand at a bit of an angle to avoid the flashback. This style piece has been made for over 240 years and the devil is in the details as they say.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:49:22 am by frogpatch »

curious23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
Thanks so much for responding, and for your welcome, I appreciate it! It wont let me upload that many pictures to the original post, so I've added what I could there, and here are the rest.

To answer your question, my dad was in business at least 40 years ago in Pennsylvania.

Thanks again for your help!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:50:18 pm by curious23 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:28 pm »
Well, the only one you missed is the dovetails !! That's the joinery that attaches the drawer front to the casing, but looking at the metal drawer runners I can safely say that this is about a mid 20th century piece !! Not the one your father thought it was from the hardware !! Is anything written on the back ?? Numbers or anything ?? 

curious23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:58:28 pm »
Thanks for your response!

Here's a picture of the chest back. Unfortunately, I didn't see any numbers etched in anywhere.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »
Not etched,, just written like the 851/31 on the back of yours !! These numbers are company style numbers and likely the finish as well !! Not many furniture companies marked the furniture they made and the ones that did were usually high end pieces !! Sometimes you will find the remnants of a paper label but that is rare !!
I would think that your father was looking at the Chippendale style batwing hardware when he made his statement !! This style chest has been made since the late 1700`s with only minor change in style,, but the construction would be much different !!  Still,,its a nice little chest and well worth keeping for its usefulness !!

curious23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »
Thank you so much for your feedback, I appreciate it!