Author Topic: Late Mayers china  (Read 4000 times)

barrys

• View Profile
Late Mayers china
« on: May 09, 2005, 11:46:08 am »
I have recently come across several pieces of tableware (plates terines etc)
they are a green pattern and are marked with "Colwyn Est 1790 K& Co Late Mayers"

Hoping  someone can shine some light

Many Thanks :unsure:  

Late Mayers china
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:51:26 pm »
British, made by Keeling & Co., Ltd.  between 1883 - 1936-37.  go here:

www.thepotteries.or g                    

Late Mayers was a brand name from what little is available on this site.  You can also search www.replacements.co m for Keeling & Co., tho' I didn't find a pattern "Colwyn".          Best wishes, KB

barrys

• View Profile
Late Mayers china
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:40:05 am »
Have looked on www.replacements.co m and have found what seems to be my china. However it is called " Colwyn-Green by Grindley" I know nothing about this subject so i'm even more confused now can anyone help.

Cheers

Late Mayers china
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 04:03:53 pm »
Interesting connection.  There have been Grindley potteries in that time period in England also.  I haven't been able to trace a specific connection.  One thing I forgot to mention - it doesn't say England? or Made in England?  If it doesn't state country of origin,  likely made before 1891, when the USA passed some Tariff Act where items made for export to the US had to have the country of origin.   About 1921 it became "Made in England".  And yes, there are always exceptions to dates, but it's a good indicator of age.

All of my web searches come back to the Keeling & Co., mostly because of the Late Mayers line.  

Can you post a pic of the backstamp?   KB

kfsinclair

• View Profile
Late Mayers china
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 04:27:39 pm »
Hello all,
I am very interested in the Keeling Colwyn pattern china. I live in Australia and it is difficult to find here. The most pieces seem to be in the UK or USA.
I inherited a green Colwyn gravy boat from my grandmother who migrated here from Scotland in the early 50's. It belonged to her grandmother. I know nothing of its history or if there were other pieces in the set etc, but have always loved it and displayed it. Now I'm looking for more information regarding the pattern and what's available. I purchased a vegetable dish and two large soup bowls in the blue pattern from ebay - the postage killed me but it was worth it!
I have seen the Colwyn pattern also in brown. I have the Late Mayers pieces - no 'Made in England' stamp - so I know they are very old. I am doing my best to research the pattern and what pieces were/are available. I have friends who regularly go to auctions looking for me too.
I keep an eye on ebay and take note of the prices of pieces. Some are reasonable - I paid $24 AUD for both bowls and some are very high. Current bid on a tureen inferior to mine $70ish AUD! I think I paid about $25AUD!
I'd love to hear from anyone else who has ideas on where to research the pattern etc.
Anything I find I'll post one here!
Cheers,
Kylie :-)