Author Topic: Help identify English dining table  (Read 2426 times)

JC888

• View Profile
Help identify English dining table
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »
Hi

My Dad bought this dining table during the 1980's from, I believe, an antiques dealer in Bath, UK. I am looking to sell the table but I would like to know, if possible, when and where it might have been made and maybe its value. I know nothing about antiques so I don't really know how to describe it. I'm attaching a couple of photos of the table and I can provide more if necessary. The table (or is it tables?) comprises a rectangular section with two folding leaves and two semi-circular end sections which can be secured to the main section with brass plates. The two semi-circular sections can also be joined together to make a circular table.

Thanks in advance for any information.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help identify English dining table
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:03:44 pm »
Have you looked underneath the table for a possible Mfrs name ??  A name could also be on the metal work if any !! Would help to see underside of the table !!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:06:02 pm by mart »

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:33 am »
Those brass holding pins & that slab of mahogany certainly would indicate to me that the table is early.  Possibly Georgian or Regency.  Need to see some closer photos of construction details please.  Beautiful.... GG

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:55 am »
Before commenting on the table ( and at the moment i'm with GG on it's age ) can i ask if you're still based in the South West of England ?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:30:53 am »
Those wide boards are indicative of the age as GG and Ipcress have said. Later pieces would have several boards making up the top. Boards that size (especially Mahogany) became rare and expensive in the second half of the 19th century. Think of how big that tree was. Probably three or four feet in diameter.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »
Would still like to see a close up of the underside !!

JC888

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. I have had a look underneath the table but I don't see any markings. I'm attaching photos of the underside.

@Ipcress, I'm now based in South East England, Surrey.

JC888

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:43:31 pm »
Another view

JC888

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »
and another

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:41 pm »
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. I have had a look underneath the table but I don't see any markings. I'm attaching photos of the underside.

@Ipcress, I'm now based in South East England, Surrey.

There are some excellent auction houses near you, particularly Gorringes for this type of table.

However, you are also close to London ( i lived in Wimbledon Village for a time ) I would therefor advise listing it on Ebay and saving a few hundred on commission fees. You can set a reserve, list the item as collection only and you will have absolutely masses of interest ( and likely some messages trying to entice you into selling it cheaply which one always ignores ! )
 In the unlikely even that the table doesn't sell ( only possible if you set a unrealistic reserve ) then you can go down the auction house route.

Had you been in the North of England ( Carlisle, for example ) then i would have suggested an auction house. You can usually bargain with them for items like this ( reduced commission and collection fees )

They really have used a wonderful piece of mahogany for this. You can't account for how much that can swing a table from the norm to the exceptional.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:30:48 pm by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »
Seeing those last pics,, Early 19th century,, but will leave it to Ipcress on this one !!  Georgian is not one I am well familiar with !!  Very nice table !!

JC888

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »
Thank you all for your help. I hadn't considered selling on ebay but I'll take a look at what's been sold there previously and I'll have a look for local auction houses.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 02:32:25 pm »
You might ask Ipcress about value on this table !! He is more familiar with UK prices !!

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 11:36:07 am »
I wouldn't accept less than £1,200. Several examples of lesser tables fetching more recently.
An auction house will want something like this in the catalogue at no more than £600-800 - i would if i was cataloguing it but then i know my buyers and it would feature in the Antiques Trade Gazette ad.
If i was located in Surrey i'd try Ebay and then Gorringes or Lawrences