Author Topic: Victorian Parlor Chair Information  (Read 5743 times)

maverick96

• View Profile
Victorian Parlor Chair Information
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:30:28 am »
Hello all. I bought a couple parlor chairs from an auction and trying to find more info on them. There were no tags on them and only markings I found were these on the legs. Any info you can provide is appreciated!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Victorian Parlor Chair Information
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:29:14 am »
Could you please post more pictures of the back. the carving, underside. the feet etc. As much as you can so we can tell how these are constructed.

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:37 pm »
Sure. I have more at home so will post them later today. Thank you very much.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:30:03 pm »
Also post both marks,,one on each chair then flip the pic !! I think we are looking at it upside down !! Are you in the U.S or the UK ??

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »
Ok.  Took some more pics.  I do live in the U.S. :) If you need more or different shots just let me know.  The markings are identical as far as I can see and are on the back legs just below the bottom.

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:49:39 pm »
more

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »
more

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:07:45 pm »
They appear to me to be a pair of Victorian Rococo Revival chairs. They are a little more padded than others I have seen but looking at other examples online they look right from here. The fact that there is a lady's and gentleman's is how they were arranged. The feet are cut offin the pictures. Are there casters on them? If not are there holes where they were? 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:10:01 pm by frogpatch »

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 02:09:50 pm »
more

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »
more

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 02:16:42 pm »
more

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »
They appear to me to be a pair of Victorian Rococo Revival chairs. They are a little more padded than others I have seen but looking at other examples online they look right from here. The fact that there is a lady's and gentleman's is how they were arranged. The feet are cut offin the pictures. Are there casters on them? If not are there holes where they were? 

Sorry. Was still posting.  The bottoms are wood but have a small circular felt piece fitted into the bottom.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »
I can see where there were casters removed. Thoe would have been correct for the period. Everything looks good from here. These were made from the middle of the 19th century until the industrial period took over the industry around 1880. They look from the last picture that the may be rosewood. Very hard to tell but rosewood usually has little grain and a purplish tone to it. It was laminated and bent and carved. sometimes you can see layers of wood almost like plywood but a heck of a lot more expensive. Compared to the works of Belter and a couple others these are very austere. They are a beautiful pair and I hope your give them a good spot in your home.

maverick96

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 02:42:50 pm »
I can see where there were casters removed. Thoe would have been correct for the period. Everything looks good from here. These were made from the middle of the 19th century until the industrial period took over the industry around 1880. They look from the last picture that the may be rosewood. Very hard to tell but rosewood usually has little grain and a purplish tone to it. It was laminated and bent and carved. sometimes you can see layers of wood almost like plywood but a heck of a lot more expensive. Compared to the works of Belter and a couple others these are very austere. They are a beautiful pair and I hope your give them a good spot in your home.

Thank you very much for your help! Any idea of the value of these? Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:27:05 pm »
That spot looks off center Frogpatch,,don`t think these ever had casters,,unless the same spot appears on all the legs !!  Do all the feet have the same spot ??  Are we looking at the same pic !!    These look to be made after 1900, I have seen the same carving on other chairs !!   A nice reproduction though !!  In fact,,now that I think about it,, there was another chair posted here with almost the same carving a year or so back !! I am almost thinking late 30`s or early 40`s on these !! And that is about the same time the green felt started showing up,, if the felt is original !!