Author Topic: A Pair of Chairs  (Read 5615 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: A Pair of Chairs
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 09:01:50 am »
Right Jacon4 !!  Just adding the name to the title means money for the seller !!   And I did mean reupholstered,, "recovered" is a local term here in Texas !! 

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 10:04:24 am »
 Just adding the name to the title means money for the seller !

Yep, however, this works both ways. About a year ago, a carved pilgrim century chest (1620-1720) came on the market that a small southern auction house mis-attributed to the Mason-Messenger shop in Boston with an estimate of 1-3k. I immediately realized the carving was in fact, Thomas Dennis (america's most celebrated 17th century joiner). The chest was in poor condition, feet were missing, lid not original, etc. however, the 3 carved front panels were absolutely carved by DENNIS! in my mind. I confided this info to a friend who, after looking at pics of the chest had doubts, this was wrong, that was not correct, bla bla bla.
Then i did a stupid thing ( if i had any hope of acquiring the chest), I second guessed myself. I spent an entire day & night researching known Dennis carvings. At this point, i was 90% sure where the day before i was 100%. I fired off an email to someone who knew more and had actually handled more Dennis objects than anyone on the planet. He confirmed that yes, this is in fact a chest built by Thomas Dennis, the attribution is wrong! and, within 10 mins had a post on his blog with pics and everything! This had the effect of alerting every antiquarian in the nation and also dashed any hope i had of buying this chest under the radar so to speak. The chest sold for over 30k

Bottom Line? Sometimes the attribution can work to your advantage if you don't give the game away like i did.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:36:23 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:28 am »
In this day and age ,,better keep what you know or suspect to yourself !! Go with your own gut instinct !!  Sometimes you just have a feeling when something is right or wrong !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 12:04:38 pm »
so sorry that happened Jacon4.  Like Mart said, if you are interested...need to keep it to a close knit circle of TRUSTED friends/colleagues.

Love the responses this thread is getting.

Did you ever find out if there are springs.  You can tell when you sit on it.  You can usually feel the spring and/or hear them!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »
That Rare Victorian website is interesting. Had a good read earlier whilst having a cup of tea and a slice of Cadbury's cake !

Bookmarked it.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:27 pm »
Yeah, Rare Victorian forum once upon a time had quite a bit of action (posters) but it has fallen on hard times. If you notice, some of the categories have not had a post in several years. Still, i use it now as a research tool through the search feature, i did today on this Jelliff thread.

KC, yeah well, what happened on dennis chest was entirely my fault, thats the way it goes though sometimes. The authority on dennis didnt do anything wrong, he was just so excited to discover another chest had been found. Push to hard and it can back fire on you, i pushed to hard!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:21:39 pm by jacon4 »