Author Topic: Levin Bros, Inc. chair  (Read 3572 times)

reisdm

• View Profile
Levin Bros, Inc. chair
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:36:22 pm »
Hi All - New to the forum and could not find much information on this chair. My mom was thinking of getting rid of it, but I want to know a little more about it. I'm thinking of having it reupholstered.

The tag under the seat cushion says Levin Brothers, Makers and Designers of fine Lounging Furniture, Minneapolis - Chicago. The tag under the chair, among other things, reads "Maker: Levin Bros., Inc. Minneapolis, Minnesota." Vendor is blank. "This article is made in compliance with an Act of the State of Minnesota, approved the 24th day of April, 1929. Materials use in filling: Hardwood frame, inner coil spring construction, burlap, Moss covered with new Linter Cotton Felt. Cushions - Inner coil sprint construction surrounded with burlap and layer of new linter cotton felt." It seems to be stamped 3112-2 pc 3282. C 9244-37773 on top. I'm unsure of what these markings mean. Please see attached images.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me anymore about the chair or company. Should I leave it as is? Is there any value whatsoever? Will reupholstering devalue it? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:16:29 pm by reisdm »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Levin Bros, Inc. chair
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
Can you please post the pic directly to this site ??

reisdm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
Updated.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:34 am »
Pretty little Victorian revival probably mid to late 20`s !! These barrel backed chairs were popular then !! I believe Levin Bro`s is still in business last I heard,,just different furniture styles !! I will check on that !!

reisdm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:29:59 pm »
I'd love to find out. I couldn't find much on the company other than the following:

1896, Levin Bros Furniture Factory is founded at Fifth St. and Washington Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN.
1917, Levin Bros. (Minneapolis) Minneapolis factory burns
1917, Levin Brothers, Inc. builds new building after fire. Costs $150K. Five stories high. Manufacturing plant at 310-330 First Ave. NE. Building at 29-43 Main Street, and 28-42 Prince Street SE.
1941, Levin Bros Furniture Factory is sold
1941, Founder Isadore Henry Levin becomes President and Treasurer, Levin Brothers Investment Company, 215 Second Street N., Minneapolis, MN.

Please let me know what you find out.