Author Topic: Attic find (???) with pictures  (Read 9303 times)

dajain

• View Profile
Attic find (???) with pictures
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
I found this chair that my neighbor has. He is 70 years old and he got it from his mother who has passed. He claims it is over 100 years old.
As far as I know, it has never been reupholstered and will get better pictures if they are needed.
I have a chance to buy it, but what is a good price?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Attic find (???) with pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:12 pm »
We really do need better pics if possible !! Also what is your location ??

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:19 pm »
mart it has arms similar to the ones posted earlier by Gusto but these are of a dog.  I saw a chair similar to this at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN which was owned by one of the mayo brothers in a small museum there.  Also of dogs.

can't get over a couple of them in a row here, even if they are not made by the same person or company.

Very cool

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »
Welcome!

I just love these old carved arm chairs.  I agree sugarcube5419.  Amazing how these are popping up now!

Can you poast a few more pictures of the "dog" faces straight on, any construction that can be seen under the chair, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »
Awesome! Also photograph any metal hardware (screws, iron straps etc.)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
Thought that's what it looked like but wasn`t sure !! Had green beans in the sink,,didn`t have time to look closely !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »
I have had many of these chairs through the years. They were made by many quality chair makers and can date from 1880 until 1920 with little change. Generally the more elaborate the earlier but not always. Your chair looks like it still has the original upholstery. Morris (known for the Morris Chair) made similar pieces as did RJ Horner, Sikes, Heywood Wakefield and even Stickley. I have never seen two alike. I always liked them. I have also seen them in sets with a stationary chair and a love seat or sofa.  They are usually stuffed with horsehair. I would love to see a better picture of the upholstery. If original that can help date it.

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18:24 pm »
Here are a few pictures. It will take a few posts to get most of the pictures in.
The only hardware I seen was the staples in the black fabric under the seat and the wood plugs for the screws under the rocker.
The seat does have a stain on it which couldn't be seen in the shade. Shows real nice in the sun though.
With these pictures, what's the approximate worth?
Thanks everyone!

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »
more pictures

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:23:20 pm »
more pictures

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »
the seat and the stain

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
If there are staples holding the dust cover on,,then it has been reupholstered !! You mean there are screws that attach the rockers to the legs ??

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:22 pm »
I wasn't about to pull the wood pieces out of the holes they are in. The pictures show these wood plugs on the rockers. I can see how these fasteners would be essential to the integrity of the chair but that doesn't mean they are original.
I do know the chair is very sturdy from side-to-side.

Maybe reupholstered or maybe just a new dust cover. Could go either way. I don't know enough to try and even guess. I do know (and trust) the guy who had the chair and he got it from his mother 20 years ago. He can remember this chair being that same color since he was a kid. He's 78 right now by the way.

What is the condition and value of the chair?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
I am not saying the man is intentionally trying to mislead you,,only that memories are terribly inaccurate at times !!  Young people in general do not pay a lot of attention to what fabric a chair is covered in !!  In my opinion the fabric is not original,, not that it makes much difference in the chair value !!  My opinion is that the chair is late 20`s or most likely 30`s !! I do not see anything that makes me think it is older but looking at pics is not always the best way to examine a chair !!  Value is between $125. and $150 as it is.,,these are not one of the best selling chair types and rockers in general are not as popular as they once were !! The carving makes in less attractive to buyers except for those that are into the Gothic style of decorating !! Cleaned up and reupholstered could be a bit more but not worth the expense if re-sale is the intent !!

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply and ball park figure as far as it's worth. I didn't buy it, but he is thinking of selling it and my wife does like it.
The owner said his mother was offered $3k for it 20 years ago. I guess he should have taken it. :-\

Thanks again!