Author Topic: Attic find (???) with pictures  (Read 9300 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Attic find (???) with pictures
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »
Jacon4, I would have bought that for $100 in a heartbeat!

lol, Yeah, i hear you but, that chair that you posted was in very good condition plus it was sold in the mid west, Iowa i think which would be a much better market than say the east coast for that kind of chair.
Frogpatch should chime in here, he/she has owned some of these chairs and probably knows their value. I know very little about these chairs and i came into this thread when i saw Alexander Roux mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:25:55 pm by jacon4 »

dajain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »
So, the farther West you get, the more these chairs are worth? I'm in the Southwest (Carlsbad, NM), so what does that do to the value?
Just trying to get a figure to give to the old guy to see if he would want to let it go for that price.
Still have a wide range from the forum, which is appreciated,  but would like a more specific "ballpark" figure. :-\
Still, if it's not worth that much, I may buy it from him and keep it. If it's worth more, I'll sell it for him and he always treats me good.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:12 am »
OK !! I had an entire paragraph typed last night and fell asleep at the keyboard !! Don`t know what I did with that paragraph !! It has been a tough week, I am still neck deep in green beans and other stuff !!
First to Dewain,,I didn`t mean to sound abrupt about the possibility of this being by Roux !! Nor did I intend to sound sarcastic,, I was just in a hurry !!
What I would do is list it on Craigslist as a "best offer" item then just see what you get !!

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:43 am »
Not A problem. my main interest were the Heads of the furniture. Roux senior died in 1889 the son continued but Quality, did not. Roux, Hunzinger, & other's Faltered on Quality as more shop's opened & time went on.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 11:53:02 am »
OK !! I had an entire paragraph typed last night and fell asleep at the keyboard !! Don`t know what I did with that paragraph !! It has been a tough week, I am still neck deep in green beans and other stuff !!

LOL, You are not smoking those green beans are you?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 02:08:15 pm »
I am here Jacon4. I am a he just so you know, an old he that restored and sold furniture in the 70s and 80s until I realized it was not worth the hard work anymore. When I saw that chair I thought the upholstery was original and perfect. I would expect in the market here to get around 100.00 but only to someone who doe upholstery. Having it done professionally where I live would be around 300.00. It is really hard to date these because so many were made for such a long time. Mart and I are pretty much on the same page on this one. I always seem to date things a little earlier than she.
Regarding the painting, Da Vinci Virgin Child and St. Anne is the name of a famous masterpiece which hangs in the Louver. It is known as his last masterpiece. His Virgin Child St Anne and St John in a charcoal drawing that is in the national gallery. If there is a painting with only St.John(the baptist not the apostle) that is unknown to exist anywhere but this guys attic it would be priceless. There also should be an auction record for it somewhere. I would love to see that. I have had works made by an art company that look like an original painting and even feel like a painting with the title and artist on the back.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »

LOL, You are not smoking those green beans are you?

LOL !!  Here lately maybe I should be !!  I have everything in the gardens (I have two) going at the same time !! Next week will be six rows of corn,, and they are long rows !! About half a football field I think !! Potatoes in the small garden ready now,,pulled onions already !! Only things that will be later are cantaloupes and watermelons !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:35 pm »
Mart, hope you got a little bit of the rain that passed through here last night.  We had a huge electrical storm with lotsa' rain but luckily no hail! 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 07:02:47 am »
WE did KC !! 1 3/4 inch of needed water !!  Should be a good year for melons !! Everything has hit about perfect this year but my tomatoes are not as good as they usually are !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 08:51:25 am »
Not A problem. my main interest were the Heads of the furniture. Roux senior died in 1889 the son continued but Quality, did not. Roux, Hunzinger, & other's Faltered on Quality as more shop's opened & time went on.

Those "heads" remind me of some found on chairs by Stickley and Brandt.
http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?itemid=41362