Author Topic: Possible 'Federal' Antique Table?  (Read 4689 times)

MBuyer

• View Profile
Possible 'Federal' Antique Table?
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:46:48 am »
I was about to sell this table on Craigslist when my husband mentioned it might actually be a cool find and have more value. Either that or I was about to refinish/paint over it. Originally bought from Goodwill for $20. After doing a little research, I believe this table is actually an antique. It definitely was not manufactured and has a shellac-looking covering over it. I started measuring some of the pieces and some parts are not identical, off by just a few millimeters. Thinking it might originate from the 'federal' family of furniture. What do you all think? And what do you think it could be worth if that's the case?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:14:08 am by MBuyer »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible 'Federal' Antique Table?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »
I am sorry but for some reason the pics won't load properly for me.  Can't see well enough to tell you anything.  Maybe someone else can pipe in.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:12:10 am »
I am sorry but for some reason the pics won't load properly for me.  Can't see well enough to tell you anything.  Maybe someone else can pipe in.

I also see that one of my pictures is missing. I had four and I only see three at this time. I am at work today but I will see if I can work out the kinks when I get home later this afternoon. Thanks for letting me know.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »
I see four but there is not enough detail that I can see. Is that a leather top? Also can we see the underside?

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:00 pm »
I see four but there is not enough detail that I can see. Is that a leather top? Also can we see the underside?

This is the backside of the table. It does not have a leather top. No drawers either. I taped a piece that came off from the side (on the bottom) where the flowery design is carved into the table, can be easily glued back into place.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:54:05 pm by MBuyer »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:38 pm »
Is that a screw I see in the last pic ??

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »
Yes, it's an older looking screw.

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »
The slot is uneven, though it doesn't look AS old as other antique screws.

anticobali.com

• View Profile
    • AnticoBali.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »
I think, it's an antique table although it's not that old as it has screws, 10-20 years old maybe. I don't know, maybe definition antique of mine is a little different. When I see the carved, it's quite detail, something that factory can't make. *imho

Probably, if you know the kind of wood it's, would help you getting know how precious it's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:33:35 pm by anticobali.com »
http://www.AnticoBali.com - Indonesian antique & art store

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 09:05:57 pm »
Can you tell what the screw is for ??  It is not an old screw !! It sure looks like a Federal Sheraton style table !! Would take some restoration to bring it back to its original look !! Not a refinish !! Prices for this style are not particularly high,,somewhere between $500. and $1000. depending on a number of things #1 being its originality and condition !!

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:37:07 pm »
Not exactly sure what the screw is for, though, does anybody know of any good places in Texas, maybe Austin to bring the table to? I'd love to get it checked out in person, but not sure who to trust!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:59:49 pm »
I am in Texas and KC is too !! Do you live near Austin ??

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:16 am »
We are actually in-the-middle-of-nowhere San Angelo, TX, though we will be headed to Austin mid-next month. I bought the able in Wisconsin a few years ago. Also, in regards to originality, I have NOT seen anything like this table while looking online. It seems quite original, unless I've been researching under the wrong things. When I first saw it, I knew it was different, and now I'm a bit excited to understand HOW different. I would like to sell it, but I don't want to short-change myself either.

Molly
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:13:21 am by MBuyer »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:01 am »
I was looking at the underside and I see a joint where the cross member meets the skirt. There is a tenon there. That is an indication to me that the table is 19th century, Screws have been made the same for a long time. They are also added or replaced. I am on board with Mart on this one. Nice piece. You might realize a bit more in the Northeast especially if it can be attributed to a state and/or maker. I would like to hear what the Keno Brothers would say. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:02:59 am by frogpatch »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:24 am »
Ah so, ..... the Keno Brothers.

Now therein is a story of "rags to riches".

ps: actually it's the Keno twins ...... cause they have an older brother. ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:12:14 am by cogar »