Author Topic: Possible 'Federal' Antique Table?  (Read 4688 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Possible 'Federal' Antique Table?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:19 am »
You are right Cogar. The one twin (which one?) was being interviewed and said he wanted to deal in antique furniture since he was a very young boy. My friends and I wanted to be cops or firemen or professional ball players. If one of them said antique dealer he probably would have gotten beat up.
I did not develop that passion until my twenties and only after I married the daughter of a flea market dealer in my first marriage, and began picking for cash.
Some people are born to do something and just know it early on. They are very fortunate. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 02:53:17 pm »

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:44 pm »
I've been looking at a ton of these pictures, and like said, I can't find anything identical. It definitely resembles that Federal/Sheraton style, though, it seems so original as well.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »
You do not need to find identical to identify it !!  I did look at some which were almost the same but I forgot what search term I used !!  The legs on your table are exactly what I would expect on a table from this period,, very finely styled !!
The difference in measurements you mentioned would be the shrinkage of the wood from age,,not because they were not made correctly !! And not all would shrink at the same rate !!  The period craftsmen were quite good and masters at woodworking !!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:08:15 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »
If I am correct, this is known as a tray top table or a tray top tea table.

These bear a close resemblance of the size/shape of a work table (sewing table) but they had at least 1 drawer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:32:04 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MBuyer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »
Too bad it doesn't have any markings to indicate the maker. Gosh, I am SO interested in having someone see this in person. (And potentially taking it off my hands.) This is really exciting and I love learning about this. This is the closest thing I could find to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Thomas-Seymour-Federal-Card-Table-circa-1815-/271515192389?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item3f37910c45
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:26:32 pm by MBuyer »