Author Topic: Can anyone identify this light fixture??? Company? Name? Value?  (Read 3766 times)

uga82grad

• View Profile
Hi folks,

I'm looking for information on this ceiling light fixture/chandelier ???  Who made it, does it have a name, model number, how would you describe it in order to sell it on eBay or an Antiques for sale venue?  Looks like Delft (sic) blue pottery, but it's all cast iron and crystal.
It was in a house, down South, circa 1909 or so, along with many high-end home fittings, mantels, fireplaces, mahogany doors etc.
Thanks,
Jack

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this light fixture??? Company? Name? Value?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »
Welcome!
Until someone with knowledge of early lighting comes along here's a selection of period catalogs that you can look through.
http://www.oldhouselights.com/catalogs_frame.htm
Your fixture with those "Sit-in / pudding bowl style" shades probably dates back to the mid 30's+ era.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:52 am »
I agree with Rauville that the glass is typical of the 1930/40 era. It looks to me like the wiring and chain may have been replaced. It is hard to tell but the wiring looks like the clear gold wiring they still use today but dusty. The chain also looks like modern plated steel chain. The style of the casting looks like the 1930s. I think it was rewired and hung up in the 1970s or so but was made in the 30s or 40s. Earlier fixtures had cloth covered wire followed by plastic in brown, white or black. The chain was usually a bit more ornate and often cast.  I would like to see the ceiling canopy. It is very common to see older fixtures rewired for safety reasons.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:26 am »
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have the light or just took a picture of it somewhere?  Could use a few more pictures if possible!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

uga82grad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
Thanks everyone,

I will try and get more photos soon.  I'm helping the home's owners get ready to sell these fixtures, as they are in dire medical need right now, and lost everything in their retirement portfolios to the Wall Street thieves, whom our congress just rewarded with an additional billion dollar bailout! These were honest, hardworking American middle class folks, who are now penniless and surviving like paupers!  It's obscene what was done to them, and what our congress did to reward the thieves who stole their retirement accounts.  I intend to help them, in any way that they ask.  Obtaining actual selling values for their remaining possessions that they are forced to sell, will be crucial to any chance of them having a way out of their present condition.  I hoped by coming here, I could get some help in identifying and pricing some of their last remaining home items.  I have very limited knowledge concerning these early 1900's home fittings. Thank all of you, for any assistance you may offer.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:57:43 am »
uga82, ..... iffen it looks like it might be worth something, then post pictures of it .... but in a "new" thread for each new item.

We just luv to flaunt our "expertise" ..... even if we are not always "right" every time.

But, "2 heads are better than 1", ...... and 8 or 10 heads will usually "get it right" sooner or late.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
The problem with lower to middle price light fixtures is the many of the individual parts are made by different companies !! Metal casting by one, glass by another and electrical components by another !! Only the very high end fixtures will be marked and even they may be the same combination !! Unless the glass shades are an exceptional quality I would guess this one at between $150. and $175. in most areas !! And that is if it is in excellent condition with good wiring !!

uga82grad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:43:38 am »
Thanks to all,

I helped rewire this light many years ago, and yes it had cotton covered wiring.  The center filial (I guess that's what its called?), is real cut crystal glass (not molded), and the same goes for the shades over the bulbs.  This was a very expensive item in 1900's, and these folks were considered very wealthy at that time. I've seen modern repros that appear in a similar style in the high end home fixture design magazines that list for $1,000-$2,000 each.  I was hoping that might give an indicator as to the "real" value of an "original".  But it looks as if I barking up the wrong tree. Oh well, I guess I'll have to tell them it's another dead end.  So sad.  Thanks anyway ya'll.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
Before you run away, could you post a few more pictures?  The story isn't over yet!  :)

Glad to hear there are more people like you in the world trying to help others out!  We will help you figure out all that we can!

What state are you in?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

uga82grad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:22:15 pm »
You bet.  I'm from Georgia and so are these folks.  Guess the "ya'll" gave me away.  I'm going over there this weekend to see what I can do for them, and I'll try and get more photos of their remaining possessions.  They were very good to me when I was young and poor, and gave me employment over the years that eventually led me to a scholarship at the University of Georgia, where I was graduated in 1982 with a BA in Science Journalism, specializing in Magazines.  Even though I was from the other side of the tracks (so to speak), they saw potential in me, that others did not, and made it their business to encourage me to strive beyond my comfort zone, and reach for those things that I believed were impossible to even dream of attaining.  I've yet to attain my fortune, but I've succeeded in achieving a fair portion of the American dream, and vow to continue the "good fight" for as long as I'm able. Helping these good folks now in their time of need, is a duty and honor which I cannot, and shall not ignore. 

And, I've promised them I'll use all my capabilities as a journalist to expose the rotten underbelly of the greediest few who've turned our marvelous capitalist engine into a train wreck for most of us, and a bottomless billionaire's honey pot for the perpetrators whose feet have never been brought to the fire, and whom continue to escape justice to this very day.  Their final days are rapidly approaching, and they're going to be held accountable while they're still here on earth amongst us.  And may God have mercy on their wretched souls, when they meet their eternal rewards.  Damnation's fires will be fueled by same dollars that they so covet and worship now. And while I'm pretty sure I'm not going to heaven ( I can't sit in church every Sunday and lie to God, claiming to be a Christian) I merely ask God to show his mercy for my failings, and place me in hell with folks like myself, and that we're not forced to watch the fate of these rotten few.

Thanks to all for your help. And God bless.  Sorry about the righteous rant, but it just forced it's way out of me....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
I tried to enlarge the pic but couldn`t get to load !! I could see part of the shades !! If the center part is actually cut glass those edges will be sharp & distinct,,not smooth and rounded !! You can literally feel the difference !!  
We all "rant" occasionally !!

uga82grad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:10:24 pm »
The day I was closest to the fixture was the day I climbed atop a 12 foot ladder to replace the cotton wiring with modern copper wiring to meet the new local building code requirements 1970's ( and nearly broke my neck standing on the next to last step, because the house has 14 foot ceilings throughout) it looked just like the beautiful art glass compotes, multi-tiered cut (lead) glass punch bowls, and other assorted fineries that were throughout their home.  I grew up with plastic tumblers, and stainless steel forks and knives, but soon learned some folks appreciated eating utensils of solid silver, and glassware that was hand produced by skilled artisans that are a rarity today.  And the fact that these fine folks started their teenage lives as simple farmers and ranchers with the dirt underneath their finger nails and their feet, and through honest hard work and fair-play, were able to have a few of the finer accoutrement's in life, was inspiring to my young mind.  So, now that I'm old enough to know what real lead cut glass looks and feels like, I'm almost certain the glass components were hand made by skilled artisans.  Everything in their home was elegant, tasteful and of great beauty (in my humble opinion) and I always enjoyed just admiring their "stuff".  And the fact that after I finished my work and got paid, I was lead to the washroom with a bar of soap and a fresh towel to scrub up, and then fed all the good Southern food I could eat, at their table with the rest of their kids, endeared them to me all the more.  I was always treated like family when I was around them.  THEY, were real Christians, in both word and deed.  Their children are the ones I'm I trying to help now, retired professionals, who fell victim to Wall Street scum (Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and others) who looted their retirement incomes, and left them with crumbs. Throw in a couple of catastrophic medical events, and cancer, and anyone can be broke overnight.  It's just that quick.

More photos are coming...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:05 am »
I understand what you are saying and when the fixture was purchased I am sure it was expensive to the family !! But the "expensive" back then does not always relate to todays prices !! Even pressed glass would have been expensive back then and beyond most peoples means !! And there is some fine quality EAPG and that is what I would bet it is !! I saw no cut glass on the clear edge of the shade !! The glass looked true to the period but couldn`t see any more than that !!  Make sure its cleaned well before you take the additional pics so we can get a good look !! And use the zoom to get as close as possible without going blurry !!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:40:16 am by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:57 am »
AND BE REAL CAREFUL ON TOP OF THAT LADDER!!!!!!!