Author Topic: Wedgewood wood cook stove  (Read 12586 times)

Mac

• View Profile
Wedgewood wood cook stove
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:06 am »
I am trying to find some information about a old wood cook stove. It is a wedgewood, light blue porcelain. It has a 6 burner plates on the top. It has stamped on it, 868-B sensible. I have looked for a any other markings on it and have not found any. I looked inside for the metal plate or the paper sticker on the underneath side and its not there. Its been stored in a shed for the last 30 years and is in great shape.  If someone can give me any information about it or where I can find more information, that would be a great help. I am also looking to find a value of the stove.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Wedgewood wood cook stove
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:29 pm »
Here is a history of the company. http://www.ehow.com/about_6507040_history-wedgewood-stoves.html

Stoves like yours sell for around 1000.00 to 1500.00 from what I found.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »
Either you are very tall or this stove is very small !!  Kid size !!

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »
I am 6'7", So that explains it looking small. lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »
Even taking that into account,,it looks small !! Can you tell me the height from the floor to the cook top ?? Not the warmer,,just to the cooking surface !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:44 am »
I agree with Mart, it is either a child's version ..... or a salesman's "sample".

It is a beautiful piece, .... and in "light" blue enamel w/warming oven ta boot, ...... that almost makes one think it is a "repo".

Is there a "name" on the oven thermometer? If so, that could be a "clue" to its date.

Regardless, me thinks it is worth a "pretty penny" ..... if only as a "decorator" item.

They don't get much better than a "pretty blue" such as that. ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:57 am »
I agree Cogar !! A smaller size would make for more money because there were fewer made !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:29:40 pm »
Does it look as if it was ever used?  Is this a wood burner or a gas - or both?  A true Wedgewood Stove should be marked on a tin plate in the top center of the back or if it has a clock with small letters around the dial identifying it as a true Wedgewood.

I agree with cogar.  My first impression was sales "sample".  It is quite a good looking piece!  Very, very unusual color but they were made in many colors!  Authentic Wedgewood stoves bring a good bit more than most.  High quality!

Here's a Wedgewood Wood & Gas stove on Ebay with the dimensions of "Dimensions are 52" high at back 35" to grates, 33" across, 25" deep"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Wedgewood-Wood-and-Gass-Combo-Stove-/181420730163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3d84a733

Wedgewood Stove History
http://www.ehow.com/about_6507040_history-wedgewood-stoves.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:45:48 am »
On looking at that 2nd picture more closely, I question if it has ever had a fire "built" in it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:55 am »
Found one with some damage that was given an $800. to $1200. value  If pristine condition yours would likely be in the $1750. to $2000. range if those prices are accurate !! Problem is you can only value an item if someone is actually paying that price !! So far have found no sales results !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »
That's such a nice stove that if it was mine I'd spend ten bucks and get a professional opinion on value.
http://www.canadian-antique-stoves.com/appraisal.htm

(Hard to tell the exact height from the photos, but I had a couple of small size ranges that I called "Sheepherder's Stoves", intended for use in a Sheepherder Wagon. One was white porcelain with a shelf back and marked "Ranger".)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
There is also antiqueappliance.co m  but their appraisal is $50!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
I will be going tomorrow where the stove is and take some measurements on it. The height of the stove both to the bread warmer and to the cook plates. I will also get some information from the thermometer on the front of it as well as some pictures. I am trying to find out if the stove was ever used. I was also told to look for a plate inside the over part or on the bottom, I will look and see what else I can find. Thank you everyone for the information you have given me so far. 

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »
I did some checking and the owners have had the stove for 35 years, and as long as they have had it they have never had a fire in it. The measurements are.... From the ground to the cooking plates 32" tall...Bread warmer adds another 31 1/2". Cooking stove is 32 1/2" wide by 24 3/4". Over Heat Indicator. Pat Oct. 24 1922. I did not find any other plate with information on it, I checked inside the over and all the front doors to it as well as under the stove. One thing I did find but not sure if it would help or not. All the pieces that can be removed have 868-Sensible...

The 3 dots are in the casting after the word Sensible.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »
The 868 is the Model #