Author Topic: Chappell Glass Chord Piano "Glassichord"  (Read 1560 times)

Mullen Coins

• View Profile
Chappell Glass Chord Piano "Glassichord"
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:45:28 am »
Apparently one of Ben Franklins favorite musical pieces.  According to information published on "The Glass Armonica" website, In the winter of 1784/85, a Parisian physician named Beyer approached Franklin with an idea for constructing a kind of glass xylophone, played by means of mechanical hammers controlled by a keyboard. Franklin must have been intrigued by the idea, and gave Beyer his endorsement. Beyer presented a prototype to the Académie des Sciences in the spring of 1785, and received an enthusiastic reception. He then reminded Franklin of his promise to give a name to what the inventor had been calling simply 'the instrument'. Ever frugal, Franklin found a use for his formerly abandoned name, christened it the 'glasschord', and purchased one to take home with him to Philadelphia. Jefferson saw the instrument a week before Franklin left France and found it charming. Its tone was exceptionally sweet, he said, and Jefferson only regretted that its three-octave range was too short.

I posted some images of this a while ago in a posting with a few other antiques but I have taken a few more pictures and welcome opinions on this piece.  We are looking for the right outlet to sell this.  Any suggestions are also welcome.  

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:58:36 am by Mullen Coins »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chappell Glass Chord Piano "Glassichord"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:36:23 am »
I would suggest you check into some more prominate auction houses in your area !!  There are also some specialized forums on antique musical instruments !! It might bring more if those buying were familiar with it as those would be !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:43:31 am »
Chappell has a location in the UK where you should be able to find out all about the piece. They have been making pianos since 1821 and were still making them as late as 1999. Here is a link to there history. The piece can be accurately dated by serial number with the link in the article. As Mart said, find the best auction house in your area or contact Christies in NYC.
http://www.piano-tuners.org/history/chappell/#numbers

Mullen Coins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:23 am »
Amazed at how little information is available about the Glassichord.   The auction houses are familiar with them but appear to be uninterested due to limited market.   Not certain how to go about selling such an item.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:14 am »
Hmmm....suggest trying to find a musical instrument collectors site that sells/deals.  Will help look later this week.  Didn't have internet for a couple of days.     :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!