Author Topic: What Might This Be?  (Read 1025 times)

TheBuschman

• View Profile
What Might This Be?
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:34 am »
Hello All,

I decided to join this forum because as I was cleaning out my closet I rediscovered this "Chest?" of what I can only assume to be geology/mining supplies? It belonged to my Great Grandfather on my mother's side. My mother gave it to me when I was younger due to my fascination with rocks and minerals. I mainly want to know what it would've been used for? Price just for curiosity, and also what you think I should do with it. Whether that be proper storage or what have you.

Here's a link to my Photobucket album only because there's about 50 pictures and didn't want to flood the thread. I tried to arrange them in order.

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Eric_Buschman/library/Antique

cogar

• View Profile
Re: What Might This Be?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:14:48 am »
According to the “tag” it is a prospector’s “field” identification kit.

Meaning, the prospector would carry that “kit” with him when out in the “field” searching for different mineral ores and deposits, …. thus he could make an “on-the-spot” identification.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:54:48 am »
Neat item !! Perhaps he did a little prospecting ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:25 am »
Nice!

Novice level for geology, etc.  Depending on his age, may have been from the time they were advising people to see what mineral values they had on their land.  There were alot of scams going around at one time...and many people ventured into finding out what was on their land so they wouldn't get taken advantage of!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!