Author Topic: Is this an antique picture frame? Victorian?  (Read 1443 times)

joemg311

• View Profile
Is this an antique picture frame? Victorian?
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:16:31 am »
Bought it with a mirror in it, looks like a picture frame to me though. Any idea how old this might be, and what metal made of? A magnet sticks to it, but there are some spots turning green. There is a very faint stamping on the back that I have trouble seeing with a magnifying glass but it looks like N S B & something. Perhaps N S D & .... the s and the and symbol are very faint and I could be way off on those. Thanks for your input guys and gals!

joemg311

• View Profile
Re: Is this an antique picture frame? Victorian?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:20:55 am »
on further inspection with a flashlight it looks like the stamping says N.B & I.M. 

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:23:24 am »
and it must be N B & I W for National Brass & Iron Works Reading, PA (1891 – 1911).  :D
its amazing how posting can get my mind turning to answer my own questions.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:13:52 pm »
LOL !!  No problem with that !!  Except that you may not need us anymore !!  There is no difference in picture/mirror frames !! Its up to the person that buys it how it is used !!  May be made slightly different but still can be for either one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »
LOL Joemg311, the more you wander around in the vintage/antique world the more you will find yourself sleuthing! 

These items aren't in high demand and the market is a little soft right now.

You got the manufacturer right.  These were for the vanity.  They are still collectible, just don't demand a high price.

You will see these listed for $100+ on ebay and other places....but they aren't selling.  The market is showing around $50 - $80 on good days.  If you can hold on to it...please do.  It will hopefully go up with time.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »
Thanks guys. I don't think I did too bad with it. Paid $35 for it in a church rummage sale, silent auction or buy it now for $35 and I decided to snatch it up early. As long as I didn't pay too much for it my wife will continue to allow my fascination with buying and sometimes selling cool old stiff  ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:48 am »
You got a good deal !! Lets hope you stay out of the dog house !!