Author Topic: Desk - need information please  (Read 2308 times)

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
Desk - need information please
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »
I can't find any information about this desk. It has been stripped so the veneer on the drawers is peeling and the slant front is cracked from the stripping. Any thoughts? Wood? Time period? Thank you.

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
Re: Desk - need information please
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:53:09 pm »
Another picture

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
Your pics are so cloudy and oversized I can`t see detail !!  Can you take a pic of the drawer dovetails up close and reduce the size a bit ??

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »
Sorry my phone camera is cracked...:)

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »
The "hutch" inside comes out and the second picture is a side view.  The veneer on this piece is in really bad shape from the stripping.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »
Try looking at a spinet desk also known as a spinet piano flip top desk or secretary.  Hekman made one that looks very much like this one.  But then, you will find many!

The problem with this one is the condition.  You can refinish and have a nice piece.  But it isn't a "valuable" piece in the condition it is in.

Found one by Hekman and it sold for $150 in good condition.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:37:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:40:52 pm »
Thank you! Any suggestions on how to finish? What is the wood?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:36 pm »
From what I can see your desk may be maple with the drop down covered with a veneer of figured maple !! Really can`t tell much from these pics !! Where is the crack in it ?? Are you talking about where the veneer meets in the center ??

isaelijohjac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:08:59 pm »
I am sorry my pictures are so bad--time for a new camera! There is veneer on the drawers and it is peeling off on the corners. The veneer on the drop down is cracking --where the change in veneer is--the "swirls" are all cracked. I am not sure how to refinish this at all. Any advice--without taking it to somebody to repair? Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:08:18 pm »
Depends what look YOU want.

To try and restore to look like the one above would takes lots of time and effort.  You can do it.

To try and get the "shabby" look that so many are doing these days, you just have to glue down any loose veneer.  Look up how to use chalk paint and sand a little around the edges for a weathered and patina look.

Here's a story similar to yours:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/5174

This one too that takes you step by step to white!
http://uglyducklingtransformations.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/secretary-desk-and-homemade-chalk-paint/

Here are a few done shabby style:

In Black 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:14:47 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
If the crack is a small one on the front I can tell you how to hide & make it almost invisible !! Since you are likely going to sand it anyway before restaining it,, take some Elmers wood glue and apply a fine line of it along the crack !! Then with your finger rub it into the crack !! Let it sit about 2 or 3 minutes then lightly sand the entire thing along the crack and all. If there is sawdust on other areas brush it toward the crack, using hand & brush ect to press & work it in !! The glue will bond the sawdust into the crack and since it is the same as the wood it should blend in when stained !!  You can do two applications if needed letting dry well between coats !!