Author Topic: Vintage / Antique flip top table  (Read 4020 times)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Vintage / Antique flip top table
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
Hi there - i am just wondering if anyone on the forum can shed some light on the age and/or value of this flip top table or any other information?  I have attached a few photos to hopefully help you.  Some information that may help - the legs are dovetaled to the main column.  The top is a single piece - the molding isnt a separate piece with the grains flowing into the molding.  The top is attached by a round tenon joint and has brass toned hardware.  It appears as though the block that attaches to the table top is a different type of wood from the tabletop.  The tabletop measures 1/2" less going through the grain than with the grain.  Thanks for any help :)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage / Antique flip top table
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »
1960`s reproduction tray top tea table !! That's a mouthful !! They are usually just called tray top tables !!  Is the foot broken ?? Looks like a trifid foot, (three toes) !!

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:42 pm »
That is definitely a mouthful haha the foot isn't broken just has some wear on the finish.  Definitely 3 toes in a very odd shape.  All 3 are identical shape.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »
Mart, this one is actually a pie crust tilt top table!  :)  REALLY!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:53:26 am »
KC, that was my 1st thought also.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 05:32:13 am »
Mart, this one is actually a pie crust tilt top table!  Smiley  REALLY!

Yep, is. These were popular in 18th century america & england, used mostly as tea tables. This particular one is not period though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:24 am »
LOL !!  Depends on who you ask !!  Around here they call everything with a raised edge a tray top because it keeps things from sliding off !! But you are right,,need to stay out of the watermelon patch and think more !!  But have my great granddaughter (age 6) here and she was wanting me to change the channel on her TV and wanting to know why there were no titles on the top so she could see what show was on, and she REALLY needed a popsickle !!  Need I say more ??? I am doing good to think of my name right now !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:51:47 am »
Mart, just had to rib you on this one!  Sorry about that!  It is true...here in Texas almost everything that has a raised edge/lip like this is called a tray table. 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 09:43:16 am »
Oh,, This has been a long week !! Between hubby, keeping Lexi occupied and the garden I am about ready to pull my hair out !!  Now I know why God created menopause !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »
Why???????

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »
The tilt top got it's start with candle stands, basically the same as a tea table only smaller. With period candle stands, you often see burn marks on the block where you would place the candle on the block and use the tilted top to keep drafts from flickering the flame of the candle.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »
Why???????

Because old people don`t need kids !!  I can not multi-task like I used to !!  Actually she is usually very good but this time she has been a little off kilter !!  Don`t know why,, just a stage she is going through I guess !!  Just washed a gallon of mud off of her then she wants to put on lipstick ??? I  don`t get that one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:46:51 pm »
Okay, made me laugh out loud.  I can see you standing her out in the yard and hosing her off!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »
Well,, the water sprinkler was hooked up so I just turned the water on and let her play in it ,, handed her a towel and went inside for a ten minute break !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 02:18:17 am »
Because old people don`t need kids !!

Women get old! Men get distinguished!