Author Topic: Victorian Doll Carriage  (Read 6834 times)

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
Victorian Doll Carriage
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:04:04 pm »
My grandmother gave this to me this morning, and I've been nose-deep in the web all day trying to find out about it.

Here is where I'm at:

I believe it's Victorian because of the materials (iron, wicker, and cloth), the general style of it, and the "CARTOY" stamp on the little hubcaps.

What I'm wondering, though, is if that can be narrowed down to a smaller era of production (or corrected if I'm dead wrong).  "Victorian" spans a lot of years...

Anyone familiar with these or have a thought?  Thank you in advance!

I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Victorian Doll Carriage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »
Can you give us the height to the top of the wicker sides and approx. length back to front ?? And that's all it has on it ?? Have you turned it upside down and looked ??

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »
Can you give us the height to the top of the wicker sides and approx. length back to front ?? And that's all it has on it ?? Have you turned it upside down and looked ??

It's approximately 17" to the top of the wicker, 12" wide from wheel to wheel, and the handle on it is about 20" long.  I did turn it over as soon as it came home, and the only manufacturing marks that I can find on it are the ones on the wheel caps.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but the wheels are made of cylindrical metal as opposed to the flat, ribbon-like kind.  That seems significant in my brain, but it might not help in the dating process at all.
I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:49 pm »
Can you take a pic of the words on the wheels ?? I am not coming up with anything !! Need to see it please !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:46 am »
Hi!  Can you please also post a picture of the handle - it doesn't show.  Was trying to figure out if the handle is similar to what you would find on a wagon.  That would determine if it was a "pull behind" stroller, or if it has handles, which would make it a push stroller.  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:19 am »
That would determine if it was a "pull behind" stroller,

That's what I was thinking, KC.

And I think I got lucky and found this, to wit:

Here is the "link" to the photo.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100570842/vintage-antique-photo-of-cute-baby-in-a?ref=market

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:19:46 am »
Good going there Cogar !!  That one is sure similar,, just for a real baby instead of a doll !! 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:46:04 am »
Can you take a pic of the words on the wheels ?? I am not coming up with anything !! Need to see it please !!

I believe "Cartoy" was the name used by the Carriage & Toy Co. located in Baltimore, MD.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12110908_carriage-and-toy-co-wicker-baby-doll-carriage-with
The business was owned by Frank Wissig, who died in 1932. I can not find any information regarding the company after that date.

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:02 am »
You guys are wonderful!  Thank you for finding what you did.  I found a little excerpt from a book, Annual Report of the Bureau of Industrial Statistics in Maryland, and they're showing the company active in 1879, so this could still be Victorian, but it could also be later.  Hah!

http://books.google.com/books?id=VZQ-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=carriage+and+toy+company+maryland&source=bl&ots=sOnP-Y1YQv&sig=pykALIDvfpGQneQIC6YhPwlPx9A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KuPDU9XVI8-ayASSmoL4Bw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=carriage%20and%20toy%20company%20maryland&f=false

It is a pull kind. My phone is being stubborn and refusing to get the photo to my laptop, will post as soon as it arrives. Here is a photo of the CARTOY mark.

I'm going to keep digging for information.  Y'all have been so helpful already!   :)
I'm new.  Forgive me.

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:33:55 am »
Here's a very similar one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-BABY-Buggy-Carriage-WICKER-Wooden-Iron-Wheels-1800s-STROLLER-Doll-PULL-/261530636934?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item3ce470d286

I'm trying to figure out pricing for my booth on this.  This is higher than I'd want to tag it, but it gives me an idea at least.
I'm new.  Forgive me.

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:53 am »

I believe "Cartoy" was the name used by the Carriage & Toy Co. located in Baltimore, MD.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12110908_carriage-and-toy-co-wicker-baby-doll-carriage-with
The business was owned by Frank Wissig, who died in 1932. I can not find any information regarding the company after that date.

So, I'm digging around on these names, and I'm thinking that he may have inherited the business from his father.  The records I've found state that Frank Wissig was born in 1871, but the company is listed as active by the Maryland Bureau of Industrial Statistics in 1879.  ?
I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:59 am »
Actually I think that is an excellent price for it !!   Doll collectors love this type of item and its not outrageously expensive !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:41:24 pm »
I agree, especially if in good shape.

A little history...original baby strollers were "pull behind" in style.  In the 1850's Charles Burton, American inventor, created the push stroller (which wasn't accepted well in US because parents would run them into others walking).  So, he took it overseas n it became a hit with English Royalty.  He filed a patent in 1852 for a "perambulator" stroller which became known as the Pram.
The popularity of the "pull behind" stroller waned in the early 1900's and the forward pushing became a norm in the 1920's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »
So then, do y'all think I'd be safe labeling it Victorian?  I'm brand new to selling, and I don't ever want to misrepresent anything.

And again, thank you so much for all the feedback and information!
I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »
OK That was confusing so re-doing that post !!  You can say Victorian or Victorian Revival !!  No problem !!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:40:14 pm by mart »