Author Topic: Victorian Doll Carriage  (Read 6831 times)

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
Re: Victorian Doll Carriage
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:52 pm »
Yours would be Victorian Revival !!  But most people fail to add the "Revival" to be correct as to time period !!

Now my "new" is really going to show:

What does that mean?  Victorian revival?  In antiques, does Victorian mean something different than in history?  I thought the Victorian period lasted until right after the turn of the 20th century...?  Help!   :-\

P.S.  Sorry for being such a needy newbie.  And thank you.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:38:43 pm by VoodooDolly »
I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Will explain tomorrow!!  I knew that would confuse !!

The Victorian period is between 1837 and about 1901 when the Queen died !! But that is argued by some because the style as such was somewhere between that period !! That is a technicality !!  There was a resurgence in the style about 1880 and lasted to about 1920 !!Before that a few other designers were making themselves known so the interest in Victorian as a decorating style was fading somewhat !!  A few were trying to revive it !! Then came the Art Noveau period as well as a few other decorating styles so Victorian was pushed to the background because it was not the buying publics choice anymore !! Not much different from how styles evolve today !!  Most refer to the items made between the 1880 date and about 1920 as Victorian Revival !! Even though all are technically Victorian in style no matter when they were made !!  Hope this clarifies a bit !!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:55:54 am by mart »

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:06 am »
Sure does.  Thanks!
I'm new.  Forgive me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
I'll hop in here...and Mart will come back when she gets out of the garden!  :)

Without a hands on it is hard to say from your pictures if your piece is actually a "true Victorian" piece (made during the Reign of Queen Victorian from 1837 - 1901), or if it is Victorian Revival (a revival of the style; made in the likeness of items from the Victorian era.  Items can be made exactly as Victorian items or have some eclectic flair added.)

From what I see I would surmise that it is from the early 1900's.  It appears that the back of yours is moveables - up to sit or down to lay?  You didn't see many that were moveable (the back goes up and down.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:03 pm »
Mart, thanks for the input.

It does have a moveable back.  It doesn't recline all the way.  It latches to keep the back completely upright, and when released it goes back about an inch and a half. 

I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
That last post was from KC !! But she is right,, sometimes its difficult to tell which dates are correct for an item !! Don`t let that worry you though,,very few use the Victorian Revival term except for furniture and not many use it for that !!  People undertstand simply "Victorian" and that's what I would use for yours !! I agree on the date KC gave but with most things you have a 20 year leeway,,10 years before or after !! That's about as close as you can get unless you can find a catalogue for the company and even then,, you will not know how long they were made !!  Just don`t get too technical with your listing,,say it`s Victorian and if they ask,, then go into detail !!

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 06:58:59 pm »
Oof...sorry, KC!    :-[
I'm new.  Forgive me.