Author Topic: Chair - Fun Thrift Shop Find - Would Like Some Info, Please  (Read 1501 times)

Schpaniel

• View Profile
Hi Everyone!

I'm Schpaniel out of NC and I've just recently got the itch for antique furniture.

Recently, I came across this chair in a thrift shop.  It was priced right, so I said "what the hey" and purchased it.

I haven't found anything similar online, so, here I am!  I do believe it is made of pine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:31:35 pm by Schpaniel »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Chair - Fun Thrift Shop Find - Would Like Some Info, Please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:09 am »
That is a mid century reproduction of a low back Windsor chair or fire captains chair. Here is one that I have from the 1850s. You can see the difference in the construction like the seat thickness. If you look at your seat it will most likely be made of several boards. The older ones were one piece. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
That's correct and most likely its maple rather than pine although the dowels and turnings could be pine but don`t think so !!  Hard rock maple was a big selling point for most companies !!  That 69 on the bottom could be the year made !!   60`s and early 70`s was the styles heyday !!

Schpaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:18 pm »
Thanks for the info, folks!  I really appreciate that.

You're correct in that it's made of multiple boards.  Here are a few more photos showing that..

Also, as far as value, is this something I should consider restoring or leaving be?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »
Forgot to say Welcome to the group !!  If it were me, I would just keep it clean, polished and use it !! Its an antique for the future !!

Schpaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »
Forgot to say Welcome to the group !!  If it were me, I would just keep it clean, polished and use it !! Its an antique for the future !!

Thanks!  Yeah, I have a fondness for it for sure.  So, I might do that.