Author Topic: Silver Maker's Marks -- Henry Charles Freeman, c. 1900  (Read 1807 times)

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
Silver Maker's Marks -- Henry Charles Freeman, c. 1900
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
I have a serving spoon that I'm fairly certain was made by Henry Charles Freeman.  The mark is far too small for me to photograph, but it's a large letter H with the C and F embedded inside the H.  The assay office stamp is a bit deteriorated, but it looks like an Edinburgh mark, so that is right in line with HCF being the maker.  Here is my question:

Are there ever maker's marks that can't be found on the web?  Thus far web-undocumented marks?
I'm new.  Forgive me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Maker's Marks -- Henry Charles Freeman, c. 1900
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:17:04 am »
Absolutely VoodooDolly.  I have been drooling over and collecting silver pieces for years and know for a fact there are many undocumented makers out there.  Just more challenge for the hunt!  :)

Can't really say about your spoon without seeing it.

Can you try and draw it exactly as you see it? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:46:03 am »
Good morning, KC!  This is what it looks like:

I'm new.  Forgive me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:18 am »
http://www.ascasonline.org/newsDICEM43.html

Read here,, I think the third or fourth question,, HCF,,Assayers mark for Christian Fr. Heise, 1904-1932 !! This was in an oval !! Not only are the letters important but what they are imbedded in is too !! Square, shield, oval, ect !! He used the letters arranged like yours !!

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »
http://www.ascasonline.org/newsDICEM43.html

Read here,, I think the third or fourth question,, HCF,,Assayers mark for Christian Fr. Heise, 1904-1932 !! This was in an oval !! Not only are the letters important but what they are imbedded in is too !! Square, shield, oval, ect !! He used the letters arranged like yours !!

That's it, Mart!  You did it -- thank you!  I should have realized that the larger letter would stand for the last name and not the first.  You're the best!
I'm new.  Forgive me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:34 am »
Great going Mart! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!