Author Topic: Primitive antique wooden chest update! 15th Century Italian Walnut!  (Read 5543 times)

TWD

• View Profile
I have never seen anything quite like this, and the seller didn't have any history...other than he thought it was more than 200 years old.

There is a lot of circular embossed metal, and it looks like there was possibly leather under the metal, all of it patterned.

There is a mark/stamp on the side of "MCP", and one on the back that is just "MR".

The designs looked Asian, but my Asian friend disagrees?

Terrible repair by seller with all the silver teeth holding the lid together....some people!?

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:57:30 pm by TWD »

mart

• View Profile
What is stamped on the center metal piece on the underside of the lid ?? If you can1t read it,,can you take a close up ??
And what are all those things on the emblem ?? I first thought cannons but can`t tell for sure what they are !!  All are similarly carved !!

TWD

• View Profile
After a gazillion hours, I have uncovered enough information to get a little excited!

It's late 15th Century, Italian, Walnut, with Intarsia tinwork (still unsure what the design means)

I have found it's prettier siblings in museums....a little out of my antique furniture, kitchenware, and industrial steampunk stuff!!

I may have to actually hire an appraiser!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:40:20 pm by TWD »

mart

• View Profile
Did it say what this chest was used for ?? Its quite a find whatever it is !!

TWD

• View Profile
Apparently most families in Medieval times kept a chest with all their valuables in it, the wealthier you were...the more ornate your chest was. 

mart

• View Profile
Yes,, that has been common practice in most places !!  That could account for the repair !!  It is not something that would have been tossed and replaced !!

TWD

• View Profile
The guy we bought it from at the market did the repair...some hot glue, and weird metal hooks.  Some total hack job I would do, and would make my husband cringe.

My husband wanted to take it apart and start repairing ASAP, but I wanted to research first!

It may be one of those pieces that you devalue if you repair it....

Strange to think it was made in the late 1400's (unconfirmed, but from all accounts...) before North America was even settled!  Amazing!

mart

• View Profile
I didn`t mean the other stuff,, I meant the metal teeth !!  He did those ??

Rauville

• View Profile
I didn`t mean the other stuff,, I meant the metal teeth !!  He did those ??

I wish they made those darn things illegal.

I hate them...and the "fixers" that feel they need to use them on furniture. :'(

TWD

• View Profile
Oh my!  I thought they were just out of his junk box (my favorite go-to for my odd creations)...how could he have thought they were ok to use on a piece of furniture!  A medieval piece of furniture no less!

Maybe somewhere that you were going to cover with drywall...haha!?  My husband would still be horrified to know they were under there, and it would torture him!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Primitive antique wooden chest update! 15th Century Italian Walnut!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
Don`t know if it would be too expensive but you might want to have it restored depending on the value !!  There are some that can do an excellent job !!  Let me get the link for one that I have looked at his work !! He takes them apart like a jigsaw puzzle and puts them back together !!  He might could give you a name for someone close to you that does quality work !!

TWD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:53 pm »
I sent all the pics to an appraiser, and hope to get a ballpark figure.  Some 16-17th century ones were selling for $5K+...they were way fancier, but this is way older, and the only ones I've seen like this have been in museums!  If it would pay off, we would definitely restore it before selling it!  If it's worth more than $1500, for sale it goes, anything under, we'll keep and enjoy!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »
http://johnmarkpower.blogspot.com/

I like this persons attitude as well as his work !!  He is in Harpers Ferry, West VA !!  I would not put a huge value on some of the appraisers you find online !! Some are nothing but rip off artists !! Check their credentials well !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile

TWD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:33 am »
Mart, thanks for the name of the appraiser...I did read some reviews, and found one that was rated highly for finding you the history and ballpark value.  I think that it will come down to whether or not it's worth enough to pay for a restoration and sell it, sell it as-is, and keep is as a wonderful treasure conversation piece.  I may need a more detailed one down the road if it turns out to be worth a gazillion dollars!  ;)

Jacon4...if you go all the way to the bottom of the Thomas the Builder Blog, you can see my question! No reply so far...

There is that one in the museum in Koln, and another at the MAK museum in Cologne.  Oddly enough, I have been to both places, the towns...not museums.  I lived in Europe for several years on and of, and, randomly, I must add that the best Flea Market I have ever been to was in East Berlin.  I could have spent a month and all my $$ in there...amazing!

Back to the chest, this is the most comprehensive site I could find:  http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O133458/chest-unknown/

They all seem to be in Museums....except mine!  :/