Author Topic: Is this a sugar bowl, and how old might it be? sorry, I'm a newbie at this.  (Read 1170 times)

lipster3

• View Profile
This was hiding in the bottom of a box lot. I know very little about china, but thought it looked neat. Bottom has what looks like a wierd makers mark, and the titles to the 2 scenes depicted. Hector chiding Paris, and Juno and Minerva going to save the Greeks. Is it even old, or just a tourist piece?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:59:37 pm by lipster3 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: is this a sugar bowl?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »
Is the design on the outside raised ??  This may be Wedgewood Blue Jasperware !!  However there are look-a-likes !!   Let me check something !!

lipster3

• View Profile
Not raised, looks to be hand painted. found it with a piece of royal bayreuth corinthian ware that was wierd looking,as well...about 5" tall with the spout facing the handle.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Mart, I do believe that Wedgewood would have left their mark on the piece.

Almost makes me think of a museum piece sold in the gift shop....  Sold as a "hold all" or sugar bowl.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Mart, I do believe that Wedgewood would have left their mark on the piece.

Almost makes me think of a museum piece sold in the gift shop....  Sold as a "hold all" or sugar bowl.

Right !! KC !!  Last pic didn`t load so I didn`t see it at the same time !!  I agree that is most likely what it is or just an inexpensive look-a-like !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I think I worded that incorrectly...made sense in my mind but when I re-read it... I meant to say:

Looks like a museum gift shop piece or piece sold in a gift shop.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
I knew what you meant !!  We think alike,,remember ?