Author Topic: Louis XV or NOT? That is the question. :)  (Read 5960 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Louis XV or NOT? That is the question. :)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
That's kind of what I thought !!  Did you send them detailed pics or just the same ones you posted here ??  No matter what they are known for,,you can`t look at the top of anything and give a reasonably accurate answer as to the origin of furniture !! Might I ask how you came to own these pieces ??

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »
That's kind of what I thought !!  Did you send them detailed pics or just the same ones you posted here ??  No matter what they are known for,,you can`t look at the top of anything and give a reasonably accurate answer as to the origin of furniture !! Might I ask how you came to own these pieces ??

The chair was from a garage sale. The table was at the curb. :) More photos coming next.

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »
Here are more photos of the table.

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »
Here are more pics of the chair. I'm pretty certain it has been reupholstered.

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 02:16:32 pm »
Here's a close up of the tag.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 07:48:05 pm »
Maybe you should drive the streets more often if things like this are trashed !! The music stand is a nice find if in good condition !!  My opinion is that the chair was made somewhere between 1960 and 1970`s !! Legs are way too heavy for the period style !!  It is just a reproduction of the Louis XV style and not necessarily like any that was made during that period. They have made this style several times over the years !!  Value on it would be somewhere in the $50. range or more in a larger metro area !!  The chippy paint might actually help sell it if that is your intent !! Some still like the Shabby Chic look !!  It was reupholstered that is what the tag says and gives the name of the owner at that time,,Ginsberg !! Hope I got the spelling correct !! Could be an Italian import but that's a  toss up !!
The music stand if in good to excellent condition would be around $150. depending on how the finish is !! From what I can see it is in fair condition so maybe a bit less that that !!  It was likely made in the general area where it was found,,the north east states !! Probably around the turn of the century although my feeling is that it was made 1910 to 1920 !!  No real way to know for sure !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
Wow, i would have squealed the tires braking to get that table if I saw it on the side of the road.  I do believe it is an American made piece, early 1900's. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:19:02 am »
I would sure beat the trash truck there !!

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:15 am »
Yes, the initial reaction was, "GOOD LORD, LOOK AT THAT TABLE," followed by a screech on the pavement. :) It was truly a rare find at the curb.

I really appreciate the knowledge. I collect and sell so many interesting mystery items but I have the urge to know what they are. So far I haven't been able to look to one source for help so I'm hoping you all are enjoying it as much as I so I never become a pain with all the stuff I need help with :)

The chippy chair was $10 at a garage sale, not too shabby. Pun intended.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:48 am »
LOL.

That chair would sell great here as an accent chair. In my area, DFW, it would sell for $80 to $125 easily.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:17 am »
We are glad to have you as a member !! We never tire of looking at other peoples finds !!  I would say you did well in rescuing that table !! Irregardless of what it sells for,,its found money !!  Chair was not a bad buy either !!  Hope you didn`t have to pay for those online appraisals !!  Most are a ripoff,,a few are honest but many only see the money and care little if they are right or wrong !! 

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:17:59 am »
Thanks guys!

No, they were not paid appraisals. I usually send a bunch of emails to different places and see who replies. I hope using the term "report" didn't make the situation confusing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »
Not at all !! We can usually figure it out !!