Author Topic: New or Old? Bank or Blade Holder  (Read 1353 times)

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
New or Old? Bank or Blade Holder
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
Hi Guys!

I picked up this ceramic piece today and I'm curious about its age.  Does anyone have any info they could share?  I have seen vintage ceramic barber poles that were for used blades.  The top slot seems bigger than a normal bank slot so I was thinking it could be for blades.  The "79" is the amazing deal of $0.79 I paid for the piece.  Any help on the "K" mark on the bottom would be awesome too.  Thank you!!!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: New or Old? Bank or Blade Holder
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:40 am »

i believe it is a razor blade disposal anf was made in Japan in the 1950.s. They shipped boatloads of novelty items like this. You are right that many have a barber pole or the character has a handle bar mustache. Some were animals like frogs or turtles to sit at the sink like they were ready to jump in. The paper or foil labels would come off from the moisture leaving many with no identifying marks. There are collectors of them and other vintage shaving items. Many houses built during the 30s through the 50s had a slot in the wall or in the back of the medicine cabinet for blades. Some fell into a container and others just accumulated inside the wall forever. The house
i grew up in had the cabinet slot.

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »
Thanks frogpatch!  Very cool info on the slots in the wall and medicine cabinets for razor blades.  I had no idea. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »
If you will notice the K on the bottom is the same color as the little guy`s hair and the decoration !!  The K would be the decorators mark !! They got paid according to how many they painted,, so much for each one,, the initial is so they or the company can keep count !!