Author Topic: Help valuing/identifying old items  (Read 4237 times)

roh163

• View Profile
Help valuing/identifying old items
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:39 am »
Hi i have found a few items that i think come from  the 1930s -1950s . Could someone please help me value and identify them.
http://pho.to/6bZDY
Thanks

Ipcress

• View Profile
Re: Help valuing/identifying old items
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »
A few interesting little bits and bobs. The Edward VIII ashtray is collectable for obvious reasons and i haven't seen that design before.
The magic book is in fairly poor condition but would be worth a few pounds on Ebay. I think the clockwork car might be Minic ( look at the base ) , and even in that condition would be worth listing on Ebay if it didn't interest you.

VoodooDolly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »
Regarding the magic book, I think the difficulty in selling something like that is the limited market -- it's a small, select group of people who know/care who Mrs. John Le Breton is.  Then, you need them to be collectors as well.  I'm speaking from experience.  I have a fantastic piece in my possession, A Goddess Arrives by Gerald Gardner.  In the occult world, Gardner is a celebrity, considered the founding father of modern witchcraft/Wicca.  The book was pressed and paid for by him in a *very* limited run.  My copy comes with provenance, last sold in an occult shop in London for 1000 pounds in 2004, it's wonderful -- except, the Gardner museum already has a copy, and most people who know he is don't have money for collection pieces like this. 

I looked yours up, and I have a question: does it say 1st Ed. inside the binding?
I'm new.  Forgive me.

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:12 am »
I cant seem to see the 1st edition mark on the binding however it does say  first published 1919 and also Printed in Great britain by Butler and Tanner , Frome and London on the bottom of a page. And there is a signature on the first page that i cant read.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:07 am »
I cant seem to see the 1st edition mark on the binding however it does say  first published 1919 and also Printed in Great britain by Butler and Tanner , Frome and London on the bottom of a page. And there is a signature on the first page that i cant read.

What's printed on the reverse of the title page ?

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:57:14 am »
The writing " First Published 1919"

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:28:00 am »
The box appears to be a ornate cigarette or cigar box from what I can see.  That along with the ashtray should sell well...Tobacciana items are popular.

Your address telephone metal slide and flip holder isn't rare...in fact you will see many for sale.  But the younger generation is showing interest in them again.

The metal holder with cobalt glass insert - don't know the size of it and if there are any marks on the bottom.  So guessing...it can be a salt or sugar holder...or a candle holder.  Just can't tell from the picture.  Would need more.

Agree with Ipcress on the car.  Would need to see the name on the car.  The style of it is desirable even in the condition it is in.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
The car says Tri-ang on the back.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:40 am »
Believe this could be what your wind-up car would look like in excellent condition?  "A Triang Minic Riley Police Car: Metal body 2 lead figures twin black plastic loudspeakers tinplate radiator bumpers and headlamp surrounds smooth cast hubs working push and go mechanism - Excellent."
http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-61281-triang_minic_riley_police_car_metal_body_2.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:41:50 am »
In my cars current condition would i be expecting a price much lower than the price in the auction?

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:14:35 am »
Also after scrubbing the bottom of the blue glass salt holder the black material came away to reveal a silver colour the casing isn't magnetic either. Does it mean that the casing for the salt holder is silver?
http://share.pho.to/6espD

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:13:56 am »
In my cars current condition would i be expecting a price much lower than the price in the auction?

go on Ebay and search for Triang or Minic and look in the Sold listings. You'll see several in pretty poor condition selling for anything from £10 to £40.

Collectors love restoring them.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:44:57 am »
My first thought about the "box" was that it is an empty daguerreotype case?

roh163

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:09 am »
Your right , never heard of a daguerrotype but it looks similar

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »
Rauville, I have to agree with you about the daguerrotype case the closer I look at it!  Great catch!