Author Topic: How much would you estimate this WMF Art Nouveau Figural Silver Centerpiece?  (Read 1905 times)

genesisvh

• View Profile
Hi folks! Just want to get everyone's opinion on this Art Nouveau Figural Silver Centerpiece Flower Dish. How much would you estimate this for? The markings on this is: as - WFMB - i/o

I know the marking means it is antique finish (as) silver plated (i/o) and WMF (WURTTEMBERGISCHE METALLWARENFABRIK) the additional "B" mark that means Britannia metal base (rare). I would like to get a ball park figure of how much this would be worth. Would $5,000 be responsible?

wendy177

• View Profile
Beautiful piece but in this market I think $5,000.00 is high. In my opinion I would say more along the lines of $1,800.00 - $2,000.0 I would also place it with a large auction house to sell as I think this will fetch you the highest price.  :)

genesisvh

• View Profile
Thank you Wendy. Great advice will lower my expectations to reality. I needed that.

wendy177

• View Profile
Your welcome but it could always go higher at auction here are some examples of sales from 2001 - 2013
http://www.skinnerinc.com/search.php?start=0&limit=30&view=30&op=search&display=list&s=WMF
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21007/lot/1010/

mart

• View Profile
 Just looked at a few WMF and not much action now!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You have a very nice piece.  The figural items will always be of interest to collectors.  The market is very finicky right now but there are still some nice prices on pieces - and with the theme of your piece you will have people interested.  I would be interested to see if this ends up being an Alfred Mayer piece from the late 1890's to early 1900's.

You never stated the size of your piece, that is important.  Also, the weight of the piece.

I wouldn't say that WMFB pieces are RARE.  But your piece appears to be in good shape (from what I see in the pictures) and no damage.  

Brittannia Metal is pewter-type alloy.  However, the letters i/o indicate that a silver component is added to this piece as well.

I believe that you getting in touch with the auction houses is a great idea.  You will at least see if they have an interest in it.  They will need the measurements of the piece and weights as well.

Please let us know what you hear back!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:44:27 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!